Wednesday 15 August 2012

STOP SHOUTING AT ME

.... it won't induce me to buy your product. In fact, it will cause me to avoid buying your product.

Does New Zealand have the highest percentage of 'shouty' ads on TV and radio? I haven't seen any research evidence on this but I certainly believe that it is true.

 With a small population, New Zealand doesn't have the buying power to support a high level of brand activity. It is generally only the fast food, beer ,soft drink,  banks and insurance companies that can consistently and heavily advertise across multi-channels.



 Sure, some smaller brands have some clever and interesting advertisements but these are usually low frequency and in targetted media. Increasingly most others resort to the incredibly annoying and obviously cheap 'shouty' ads.


Some idiot obviously told them that these are effective and it may well have been the case years ago. Now they are simply intrusive.
It has got to the point now when at any time of day some buffoon is screaming at us to take advantage of a 'never to be repeated' special (which is repeated each week.
Watching children's morning TV recently I was gobsmacked at a brand using a kid in shouting mode to sell their shit.

Gruen Transfer discuss 'shouty' ads here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGhyyKddovY

I'm amazed that these ad guys like them (although they go where the money is I suppose).

I think its time for viewers and consumers to take a stand and do any or all of these things:

  • turn the TV or radio off
  • boycott the annoying brand in question
  • complain to the radio or TV station
After all, who likes a shouty bastard? I don't.

Prick

3 comments:

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Whats a TV?

Richard (of RBB) said...

I seldom watch TV. Ramsay is a dick - a glorified cook with a huge ego.

Valley Girl said...

Oh yes I hate that bloody chick from Big Save Furniture! THe Harvey Norman ads too!