Friday 14 September 2012

HANDBAGS?

What a bloody misnomer.

Women are never without a 'handbag' but from what I see they look more like overnight bags


To be honest I have gone 'tramping' in the bush with provisions for a week with smaller packs than these. Maybe women should wear packs instead.


Which reminds me of Ivor Cutler's poem on Velvet Donkey which says "If your breasts are too big, you will fall over .... unless you wear a rucksack"


I picked up The Old Girl's handbag the other day and almost gave myself a hernia.
"What the hell's in this?" I yelled demanded asked.
"Stuff" she said giving me the look that told me not to pursue the issue.

I did notice that she has bought a new handbag that has a strap so she can wear it like a mail-bag.



Anyway, what I want to say is that today, when getting a coffee in a cafe, a woman came out of the toilets with  her oversized handbag and plonked it on the table next to me.
I know that this bag had just been on the floor in the toilets and imagined all the bacteria, urine and fecal matter that was being transferred to the table and hers and the next diners food.

The old superstition of it being bad luck to put shoes on a table and the Maori taboo on sitting on tables are grounded in the knowledge that shit + food = ill-health.











9 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Though women do take the precaution of sitting ...

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yes Second I sympathise. I was a cleaner once (not a very good one). Some bastards just seem to spray all over the place but at least the guys don't (I hope) come back into the cafe and pee all over the tables.

Tracey said...

There are hooks on the back of the cubicle doors, that's where the handbag goes - not on the floor. Where did you get that idea???? And how do you blokes organise a life without a handbag?

Tracey said...

There are hooks on the back of the cubicle doors, that's where the handbag goes - not on the floor. Where did you get that idea???? And how do you blokes organise a life without a handbag?

Richard (of RBB) said...

And how do you blokes organise a life without a handbag?
I use a bass bag.

Valley Girl said...

Yes RBB but I bet you don't carry your Bass Bag around all day like us women caryy our handbags everywhere!

Would be great if you could cos think of all the stuff you could shove in a bass bag - even a HUMAN BODY, or 2 small Year 9 boys.
Fantastic too for a homeless person. They could carry their home with them in a bass bag.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Valley Girl, before Richard met Shelley he used to live in his bass bag. It sheltered him from inclement weather and allowed him to store useful and essential items like sherry and underpants.
Unfortunately due to the fact that he kept it zipped up even in warm weather it smelled rather badly.
Shelley had Richard fumigated successfully but try as she might no cleaning agent known to man was effective on the bass bag so she forbade him to live in it.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Quite agree TC, handbags are an abomination.

Why can't women wear Tweed jackets and use their pockets like us?

Valley Girl said...

Two pockets are not enough for us ladies! We need more compartments to cary around all that we find essential.