Monday 9 December 2013

WEEKENDING

It's been a good weekend as The Old Girl, after a very busy fortnight of work with 14 hour plus days decided to, after the completion of a major bid, to take Friday off and work from home on Monday.
This meant that we could plan some nights out and daily activity in a way that we haven't been able to recently.

Thursday evening

We went out to a couple of Italian restaurants - one we'd dined at and a pizzeria we hadn't been to before for a glass of wine at each. A pretty ordinary Californian Chardonnay at the first and some nice Italian red at the second. When I say nice it was as a result of our blending. The Old Girl ordered a Montepulciano which was OK but a bit lean. I ordered a Valpolicella which was rich and opulent. As The Old Girl didn't like hers much I suggested we blend the two of them. We did. The result in the glasses was a nice blend which lifted the one and only slightly diminished the other.

 The result on the table due to The Old Girl's faulty pouring was a mess on the table cloth. Disaster? It could have been in other restaurants but this was a pizzeria with paper table cloths. As the napkins were linen I asked the waitress for some paper towels to mop u the mess. All good.
Take-A-Way burgers on the way home. At the corner of our street is a 'gourmet' burger joint which makes the most delicious burgers. Mine was a "Hawaiian' which in addition to the obligatory pineapple had wasabi, avocado and chili sauce. Scrumptious.



Friday

A bit of a sleep-in, gymn and off to the shops for a quick visit to buy me a pair of respectable long trousers (The Old Girl casts aspersions on my shorts and shabby chinos). I should have known. The visit to buy my trousers lasted about 10 minutes. Then the shopping started. I hung around for about a half an hour until I drooped and then ambled off to a food hall and sat down and read a newspaper until summoned an hour later.
Friday evening was wine and dinner in for me and many wines and music and dancing out for The Old Girl with her work colleagues. She came home at 2.30.

Saturday

Slow start for The Old Girl (fancy that) and a normal one for me. Cold as hell (strange expression that) here and we went off to one of the local cinemas. Half-way through the film the fire alarm went off and we had to evacuate. As no-one seemed to have any idea what was going on and it was getting to be late in the afternoon we decided to bugger off. It was cold as hell outside after all. (I got credit tickets for use at another time). Dinner in at home (leftovers from the freezer).

Sunday

Sleep-in and book-reading. Brunch at local vegetarian restaurant which was marvellous and will be a regular feature. A bit of a walk and home to watch videos.
Nice and relaxing?
Yes but all good things must end.
"We need to do some housework" said The Old Girl.
"But I do it during the week" lied said I.
"We need to do it properly" said she and handed me add-on connections to the vacuum cleaner that only women and OCD men would know what their uses were for. Bugger.


Sunday evening was lasagna and wine (The Old Girl was ready to face the stuff again) and DVD's. Very pleasant.

Monday will be her working from home with me keeping her company until I get in the way at which time I'll go out for a while (in the forecast minus 5 degrees).
Monday evening will be a degustation wine dinner we've booked in for.

Toronto, where it all happens.




7 comments:

Tracey said...

What movie did you see/not see? Life sounds very pleasant.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

12 years a slave. OK but predictable. I don't think we'll see the second half. There are two excellent upcoming films we saw shorts for. A new Cohen Brother's one and a new Wes Anderson one that looks great - Hotel Budapest (or similar). And of course the second 'Hobbit' film.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

12 years a slave. OK but predictable. I don't think we'll see the second half. There are two excellent upcoming films we saw shorts for. A new Cohen Brother's one and a new Wes Anderson one that looks great - Hotel Budapest (or similar). And of course the second 'Hobbit' film.

Richard (of RBB) said...

12 years a slave. OK but predictable. I don't think we'll see the second half. There were two excellent upcoming films we saw shorts for. A new Cohen Brothers' one and a new Wes Anderson one that looks great - you'll notice that I fixed the possessive apostrophe thing.

Tracey said...

Actually, I'm not sure it needed an apostrophe at all. If it was a hobbit film you would say "a Peter Jackson one' so I think "a Cohen brothers one' would be just fine ... though I could wrong. Just kidding, I'm never wrong.





Richard (of RBB) said...

"A new Cohen Brother's" would be correct if one brother buggered off.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Unless, of course, there were actually three brothers involved.
Bugger it, I'm off to Robert's blog to watch him practise.