Thursday 9 October 2008

SANCTUARY


I tend to give Robert, a friend of mine with strong religious beliefs, a bit of stick and (in fun I assure you) mock his sermonising. I am a lapsed Catholic which is a strange expression and suggests negativity as in 'my driving license lapsed because I forgot to renew it'. I did not choose to become a Catholic. My mother made that arrangement for me and so I went to Catholic primary schools and was taught by nuns; Catholic intermediate school and was taught by Marist brothers; and Catholic secondary school and was taught by Marist priests. A lot of the rote learning has remained with me (note the use of capitals when I write 'Catholic' and 'Marist'. I also do this if I write 'God' as in Robert's god).


One of the enduring things that I have from my Catholic education is a sense of Ethics (that deserves a capital) that helps steer me through life. This is bound up with the notion of conscience that was instilled from early days and refined under tutelage by the priests who often were intelligent and professional people who had Divinity degrees. This sense of knowing right from wrong, of being aware of others needs alongside my own I think makes me a better person. It is certainly of much greater importance than believing in The Holy Spirit, the ascension of Jesus, the 'miracle' of the mass and the assumption of Mary into heaven (what's that about? Sorry Robert!).


Another thing that I always liked and still do is the peace and serenity found in churches. Although increasingly the better churches and cathedrals are becoming tourist meccas and prostituting themselves to raise money for restoration and maintenance (Christchurch Cathedral is a case in point and recently when I was in Dunedin I was annoyed at the antics of a group of Korean tourists who were clambering all over the place taking photographs in a grand old Anglican church - I had to call out "Oi! Do you mind?" to one of them who was climbing on to the altar-table!), there are many still that provide a quiet place to sit and gather one's thoughts.

In Melbourne the other day I had some time to kill before going to the airport and wandered about the inner city for a bit. After a while, foot-sore and weary I just needed some time out. I found it in a charming old Catholic church right in the centre of the city. The hustle and bustle of midday traffic was left behind on entering. The peace and serenity was palpable and it was if I could feel the stress leaving my body by just sitting quietly for a few minutes. Fortunately it was not infested with (other) tourists and certainly no gymnastic Koreans. There were some devout Catholics about though and as the 1PM mass was about to start I quietly slipped out.


Here is on of the Wikipedia entries on 'Sanctuary' -


"In Europe, Christian churches were sometimes built on land considered as a particularly 'holy spot', perhaps where a miracle or martyrdom had taken place or where a holy person was buried. The place, and therefore the church built there, was considered to have been sanctified (made holy) by what happened there. In modern times, the Roman Catholic Church has continued this practice by placing in the altar of each church, when it is consecrated for use, a box (the sepulcrum) containing relics of a saint. The relics box is removed when the church is taken out of use as a church. In the Eastern Orthodox Church, the antimension on the altar serves a similar function. It is a cloth icon of Christ's body taken down from the cross, and typically has the relics of a saint sewn into it. In addition, it is signed by the parish's bishop, and represents his authorization and blessing for the Eucharist to be celebrated on that altar.

The area around the altar was also considered holy because of the physical presence of God in the Eucharist both during the Mass and in the tabernacle on the altar the rest of the time. So that people could tell when Jesus was there (in the tabernacle), the "sanctuary lamp" would be lit, indicating that anyone approaching the altar should genuflect (bow by bending the knee and inclining the head), to show respect for Him. In the Eastern Orthodox Church, Eastern Catholic Churches of Byzantine rite and Coptic Orthodox churches, the sanctuary is separated from the nave (where the people pray) by an iconostasis, literally a wall oficons, with three doors in it. In other Oriental Orthodox traditions, a sanctuary curtain is used. In most Protestant Churches, the term sanctuary denotes the entire worship area while the term chancel is used to refer to the area around the altar table In many traditions, such as the Anglican Church, Roman Catholic Church and United Methodist Church, altar rails sometimes mark the edge of the sanctuary or chancel.
The area around the altar came to be called the "sanctuary," and that terminology does not apply to Christian churches alone: King Solomon's temple, built in about 950 BC, had a sanctuary ("Holy of Holies") where the tabernacle (" Ark of the Covenant
") was, and the term applies to the corresponding part of any house of worship. In most modern synagogues
, the main room for prayer is known as the sanctuary, to contrast it with smaller rooms dedicated to various other services and functions."

14 comments:

THE WINE GUY said...

Did you know that an anagram of 'Catholicism' is 'Comical Shit'?

Richard (of RBB) said...

There must be one for 'wine guy' too.
I new yug?

Anonymous said...

I would like to remove the guilt from "lapsed Catholic". Is that possible?

THE WINE GUY said...

best Anagram for The Wine Guy is
'Get yu new hi'

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"I would like to remove the guilt from "lapsed Catholic". Is that possible?"

Maybe, if I knew what you mean?

Removing guilt may mean taking the heat out of something in which case 'lapsed catholic' becomes 'ice cold asphalt'

Anonymous said...

"THE CURMUDGEON said...
"I would like to remove the guilt from "lapsed Catholic". Is that possible?"
Maybe, if I knew what you mean?"

Old age takes its toll Curmudgeon.
So I will explain what I meant... is your hearing aid in?

LAPSED CATHOLIC! As in a Catholic that has not been to church for years and years.
Guilt sort of builds up like dirt on an architrave over a door and looks like nothing can remove it.
It's not easy; you have a dirty rag and fluff on the floor; but it can be cleaned!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I never 'fluff' on the floor and don't have a dirty rag.
What are you on about.
I think those cleaning chemicals have gone to your head. Hey! I just had a thought. I wonder if smelling cleaning chemicals and belef in things like transubstantiation, assumption into heaven the Holy Spirit and ascension of Jesus are related.

Anonymous said...

Hey, comeinypurpants, this is Richard (of RBB) at tea at Robert's and using his sign in. To prove it - I stayed a night at your place and you're house is behind another. The table in your front room is light coloured wood. You have a lovely bathroom with a walk in shower that would cater for at least three people comfortably. Tony was there too and he wore a white shirt. This is like one of those movies where someone finishes up insomeone else's body. I'm enjoying teasing you, old friend. I hope that Lyn is well. See you soon.
Rich

Richard (of RBB) said...

Ha! Yes, that last comment was me! Tricky Prowse brothers!!!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Hey tricksy Prowse brothers. Where did thos rich jafa comments go to?

For your information I see Wellington as my home town so I'm not a jafa and secondly as I just resigned my job I am unemployed and not rich.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Is that Pete or comeinyourpants talking?

Anonymous said...

You are right about Churches!
If they weren't kept locked up I would go in more often!

Anonymous said...

"One of the enduring things that I have from my Catholic education is a sense of Ethics"
Hey Cumoldgent are we back on this theme. I thought we cleared up the distinction between ethics and morals.
A vetenary school might touch on the "ethics" of animal destruction.
A catholic school would descuss the "morality" of abortion .

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Robert, in my world my "sense of ethics" presupposes a sense of morality in advance. Ethics and morality are not too different except by application. My 'ethics' is built on a basis of morality and also is a question on how the best outcome (morality?) can be achieved in different situations.

Beware semantics!