Sunday 12 July 2009

BEING ONE UP


I was run over in 1960 when I was eight. It happenned on the pedestrian crossing on Kent Terrace near the Basin Reserve in Wellington. It was a hit and run. The runner was an old guy on a bicycle. As I walked across the crossing he knocked me over, ran over my legs and kept cycling away as if nothing had happenned. Maybe he was pissed and didn't notice me. I had tyre marks across the backs of my legs.


I've only ever knocked two people over. That makes me one up.


The first was on the day I purchased my first car - a 1948 Austin 8. It was lunchtime at St Pats and I was in the 7th Form. Chelman, Christensen and I went for a 'burn' to try the car out (this was a 1948 Austin 8 remember so the only thing that burnt was the oil and the wiring). As I turned left from Buckle Street into Taranaki Street I bumped into an old guy on the pedestrian crossing. (not sure if it was the same old guy who had run me over 10 years before - ed.). It moved him a bit but didn't knock him over. I jumped out and told him off for getting in the way as I was driving there. He said sorry and shuffled off.


The second time that I knocked someone over was at University in about 1973. I was driving my third car a 1964 Hillman Minx. I'm not sure if it was Richard in the car but it was definitely a Prowse. Michael Wilson was the other passenger. We had been visiting at Chris Prowse' flat in Kelburn and were returning to University in the afternoon. Driving down Kelburn Parade I turned right at the bottom into Victoria University. A young guy on a motorbike swept around the corner and I bumped into him and knocked him over. I jumped out of the car and told him to watch what he was doing. He said sorry and I told him to not do it again. We continued into the university and went and had a coffee at the cafe. My passengers were flabbergasted.

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I don't remember this, but please warn me next time you are driving in Wellington.
Should I apologose in advance, justin case you drive into my house?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I remember that Chris once lent me his (just bought) Hillman Hunter to drive down to the Turangi grocery store when we were trout fishing. He was really nervous about it though so when I returned I told him that the car was making a real funny sound at 100 (mph). He believed me for a while.

THE WINE GUY said...

I remember that trip, back in the mid 70's. I have a good story that I might post and I have a fish recipe (obviously with wine) that I will share.