Friday 19 February 2010

NOW I KNOW HOW DRACULA FELT..

... kind of. I had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic - Doxycylcline Hyclate - which gave me painful swelling to my hands and an unsightly rash (not contagious) on my fingers and arms. Sunshine exacerbated this so I had to keep indoors for weeks. Unfortunately in the middle of this period I had to go to Auckland for a 60th birthday and a wedding. I couldn't keep out of the sun in doing this and like old Drac. I felt myself wilting. The swelling and rash became more painful (thank God for wine) but I got through it. At the wedding I could hardly hold onto the pen to witness the bride and groom's signatures but got through it (the alternative was unbearable - handing over to Richard my second who would have written Whainuiomata as the witness's address).

5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I thought it was a noble gesture of mine (at Tony's) to touch your rash, as a sign of friendship being more important than the risk of disease.
I didn't risk that with your previous rashes (years ago) that tended to be around your private parts.
Get well, my old friend.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

My 'private parts' would have been my wallet and car keys. I would never have let you near those.

Anonymous said...

Goodness. So sorry Peter. My thoughts are with you.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

All better now.
I got some powerful hydrocortisone tablets during the week and it has miraculously been fixed. I've been swimming today and about to go out for another swim after dinner.
Stir crazy no more.

Nicola said...

Glad you are better, although I have to ask, are you pretending to have something wrong with your hands because you saw how much sympathy and attention Richard got when his hand was injured and you wanted that attention too?