Sunday 7 February 2010

OLDFOLKS BOOGIE

 My good friend Chris Prowse (Richard's older brother and the guy who has fired Richard several times from the various bands he has been involved in) has won the 2009 Tui for Best Folk Album of the Year with 'Trouble on the Waterfront'. This is a great concept album well worth listening to and it for me refreshes the idea about 'Folk' and contemporises the stories in the songs. Having a theme that is recognisable and part of my growing up is important. Most folk songs I have listened to in the past have been American or British stories or early nineteenth century New Zealand ones. Richard wasn't in the band for this album but his bass playing may well have suited the song about the blowing up of the Huntly bridge.

It is great seeing Chris get this recognition from the Folk community. Many years ago his credibility may have been a bit weak since he twice invited Richard, Tony, Mike, Roger and I to the Wanganui Folk gathering at a camp in the Para Paras. We of course behaved very badly (and had a great time). I remember on one of the trips  we went for a  day jaunt to Raetahi and Mike drove my car back for many miles with the handbrake fully engaged. When we arrived back at the campsite excited hippies pointed out the smoking and flaming rear wheels where the brake pads had burned away. The trip home back to Wellington was exciting given it is one of the windiest roads in the country and we had virtually no brakes. Several times I nearly rear-ended Chris in his Hillman Hunter.

10 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

"The trip home back to Wellington was exciting given it is one of the windiest roads in the country and we had virtually no brakes. Several times I nearly rear-ended Chris in his Hillman Hunter."
I was sitting beside you in the car and very tired. You told me that, if I closed my eyes, you would too. Mean old Comeinyourpants!

Anonymous said...

I can never forgive you for the time we went up that fire escape and you threw my gormet pizza away. You are a bloody food philistine!
Chris

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Content suggests Richard. Spelling indicates Robert. A Prowse anyway.

Anonymous said...

I never liked those straight pants that you wore in the 70s.
Chris

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yes, you were probably envious of Richard's red bell-bottoms.

THE WINE GUY said...

"I never liked those straight pants that you wore in the 70s."
Chris"

'Chris', you most likely liked those gay ones Richard wore.

[word verification really is 'KINKEYER']

Anonymous said...

"the guy who has fired Richard several times from the various bands he has been involved in"

Peter, are you saying Chris has vendictively followed Richard around persuading bands to dismiss him?

The Inquisitor said...

"Richard wasn't in the band for this album but his bass playing may well have suited the song about the blowing up of the Huntly bridge."

This is pure speculation. Richard would never have lowered himself!!!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Robert. I meant that Chris has fired Richard several times from his band.

Miss Sie, believe me Richard has lowered himself before. Send a stamped self addressed envelope for the pictures.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Chris Prowse was interviewed on 9 to Noon today by Kathryn Ryan. It was a great interview and can be heard by going to the Radio NZ website.