Sunday 27 April 2014

SPACE INVADERS

Not these:




But these:









Most of us have a personal space requirement that when people come within it (uninvited) we become uncomfortable.
Psychologists have defined this thus:

•Intimate distance - 6 to 18 inches
This level of physical distance often indicates a closer relationship or greater comfort between individuals. It often occurs during intimate contact such as hugging, whispering, or touching.
•Personal distance - 1.5 to 4 feet
Physical distance at this level usually occurs between people who are family members or close friends. The closer the people can comfortably stand while interacting can be an indicator of the intimacy of the relationship.
•Social distance - 4 to 12 feet
This level of physical distance is often used with individuals who are acquaintances. With someone you know fairly well, such as a co-worker you see several times a week, you might feel more comfortable interacting at a closer distance. In cases where you do not know the other person well a distance of 10 to 12 feet may feel more comfortable.
•Public distance - 12 to 25 feet
Physical distance at this level is often used in public speaking situations. Talking in front of a class full of students or giving a presentation at work are good examples of such situations.
I know that I require a greater distance than other people do basically because I am not a very social person. I'm sure that Second Fiddle would require even more and probably be more comfortable if everyone was in the next room.

I guess we've all experienced the close talker, the person who just has to press up close to have a conversation. Invariably, as you back away a bit the person follows with a step so that eventually you're pressed up against a wall or some barrier and can't retreat any further. The amazing thing is that the close talker seems oblivious of the discomfort that he or she is causing.
In my experience this close talker usually has halitosis or a disturbing array of nasal hairs or both.


One of the few times that invasion of personal space is not uncomfortable is on public transport when it is busy. It still is not desirable but is acceptable when people crush up a bit.
Last week on the subway I was travelling during the middle of the day when it wasn't busy. There were plenty of seats and lots of standing space.
As I was only going a few stops I stood near the door and leant against the bulwark of the carriage. People came and went and then a woman, aged about 25 go on and instead of moving down the carriage or taking a seat she stood close to me. Very close. Uncomfortably close. Now she was attractive (I can still notice these things) but I would have preferred if she had moved away a bit. After 3 stops I was able to exit at my station.

At least she didn't have bad breath or rampant nasal hair.


6 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I thought I'd leave a comment.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks, much appreciated. Look after that hangover old guy. I suggest a mug of Walnut Brown.

Richard (of RBB) said...

vaffan culo

Richard (of RBB) said...

Can you translate that?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

You seem to have some sort of obsession with old hairy men's bums.
Do you think you should discuss this with your brother?
after all he is a qualified Psychologist.
It probably all relates back to a certain old Marist Brother who you showed an interet in. Mmmm?

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

I hope you checked you've still got your wallet.

And the bunny in the photo needs a good lesson on personal hygiene.