Monday 6 July 2015

A RIPOSTE


Remember when someone says something and you don't come up with a clever or witty response until later?

Well I did that today. Forty three years later!

I was watching a silly TV programme tonight - How I Met Your Mother - and a scene set in a university town pub took my mind back to university in Wellington in 1972.

I was at the library putting my bag onto one of the open shelves at the entrance. This was in the simpler and frankly more honest days of the '70's where you could leave your stuff in a communal setting without some scrote nicking it.


Anyway, as I was putting my bag away two young women next to me were having a conversation and I overheard one telling the other about her previous night.
It was her birthday and she said that her flatmate came into her bedroom wearing nothing but a red ribbon tied around his waist. He told her that he was her birthday present. They laughed and I, embarrassed, walked away into the library.



Now, forty three years later came up with what I should have said:

"Excuse me. That was just the sound of my jaw dropping on the ground"
 This to be accompanied by a smile and a lascivious wink.



It might have got me an in with the birthday girl's friend.


5 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

43 years and that's the best you can come up with?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Ah, I'm going over to check out Second's blog.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Okay, I'm back.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Why don't you sleep in when you're on holiday.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Just can't wait to read your blog.












Not.