Monday 15 February 2016

AGED DISCOVERY

I drove back from Auckland and on the way thought about what I wanted for my dinner.
I knew that I'd arrive after 6PM so take-e-a-ways were an option. The more I thought about it though the less attractive they became. We don't have any decent burger bars up north - not like AK with Burger Wisconson, Burger Fuel, Murder Burgers etc. so I went to the supermarket to get staples and think about what I wanted.

Somewhere along the line my brain had picked up the fast food association and I remembered a great takeaway we used to get in Toronto. It was a spicy Hawaiian dish and I loved it. I remembered that it had cheese, pineapple, bacon and wasabi.

I collected cheese, prosciutto (instead of bacon), pineapple chunks, chili paste, wasabi paste and pizza bases and headed off home.
While preparing my pizza and drinking a glass of Church Road Chardonnay I thought that something was missing in my ingredients.
I rang the Old Girl who I'd left back in Auckland (she starts work again this week) and said:

Me: "You know that spicy Hawaiian takeaway I loved in Toronto at the place on the corner of our     street?"

Her: (cautiously) "Yes"

Me: " I've got the pineapple, cheese, chili, wasabi. prosciutto (instead of bacon) and the pizza base but I think there's something missing"

Her : (Silence).

Me: "are you there?"

Her: "That corner place was a burger bar. The missing ingredient was a beef burger!"




Me: "Oh"

Her: "Good luck with that. I'm glad I'm in Auckland".

Bummer!

I made my pizza anyway using a pre-sauced thin pizza base on which i sprinkled some cheese on top of which I layered some sliced jalapeno chilies and spiced capsicum. I then layered the prosciutto and positioned chunks of pineapple over it. I then spurted  wasabi (bloody hot) over everything with some hot chili sauce for extra effect and put the pizza on the stone base we have that was getting hot in the oven.


???


Bloody marvellous.

Hot?

Yes.

Wasabi?

Yes, that horseradish rush that clears your sinuses.



Will I do it again.

Absolutely.




3 comments:

Robert and the Catholics said...

"I'm not here right now, Please leave a message"
Yes I understand, all those hot spices...

Richard (of RBB) said...

A post.

Robert and the Catholics said...

A comment.