Saturday 11 June 2016

AFTER THE STORM

We had a severe wind storm during the week that threatened to tear off the roof and destroy the garden sheds and trees. I'm glad that we had a new roof put on last year but it was still worrying. The unusual weather patterns maybe could be put at 'global warning's' door but I don't know, I'm not a meteorologist. Last weekend we were swimming in the bay, Tuesday was cold enough to light a fire, the rest of the week was like being in a hurricane and today it's been sunny and 23 degrees.

I woke this morning to blue sky, sunshine and no wind. A beautiful day.
When I went for a walk around the bay I decided to add the 'up and over' of Mount Aubrey which I haven't done for a while. This is a great walk and is always made better in good weather because of the spectacular views from the top.

I climbed walked up from the Little Munro Bay side which is the steepest (better to get the up out of the way early). As I had my iPhone with me and was taking photographs I had the excuse to take it slowly so didn't end up puffing my way to the top. I've been a bit lazy lately and this was the first time I've done the Mt Aubrey walk since I got back from the UK.

There was lots of 'Up'



But interspersed with lovely flora on the track and really nice views.


And lots more 'Up'



Quite a lot of "Up' actually but the views at the top are well worth it.



Mt Aubrey is an unusual mountain with a steep, bush covered sides and a long plateau-type top that has lots of unusual rock formations.









The biggest 'rock' is the highest point of the mountain with a marker at the very top.


Not my photograph. I can't levitate (yet) and don't own one of those annoying drone things.





The last time I was up here it was blowing a gale and I had to hold on to this marker so as to not get blown away.

This time there was virtually no wind (although when standing at the top you can feel a bit of a breeze). The view from here is 360 degrees and I can look down on my house below.


The downhill walk is much easier but can be hellish on aged knees but DOC and the council have built in some pretty nice steps that are almost like stairs.



The walk is entirely bush covered, again with beautiful native trees, ferns, toi-toi and cabbage trees but occasionally there is a great view through gaps.


I'm glad that I did this walk today in case the weather turns bad for the rest of winter. I love this mountain and indeed the other walks around here. Walking them obviously helps with fitness but it also benefits the soul.

After the walk I got stuck into some gardening around the property so now feel that I deserve the glass of Selaks Founders Chardonnay I've just poured as well as the schnitzel, roast potato and broccoli I plan to have for dinner.

Oh, and I also decanted a 1977 Warre's Port (half bottle) to sip at after dinner if I can work out how to get a delayed telecast of NZ vs Wales on my computer.

Salut!

2 comments:

Robert ka kite i nga mea i te rangi said...

You are fortunate to have such scenery in your back yard. Like you I always have difficulty and pain walking down again after a long upward hike.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Not unlike Anselm's Hill behind my place.
I hope that wooden chair wasn't blown over again!