Friday 13 February 2015

CRANKING IT UP # 2

Well, this new series has already made it to the second issue.



Now I might be stretching it a bit complaining about the disappearance of a product I last bought in 1965 but there was a chocolate covered toffee bar that I loved when I was a kid.

I don't have an image of it but it was in a rectangle shape about 50mm wide by 90mm long.
It was avery hard caramel (maybe toffee) covered in dark chocolate. It was probably made by local producer Whittakers who seemed to dominate in those days before the international multi's took over supply in New Zealand.
The thing that made this bar memorable was its shape. It consisted of about 6 'bumps' or 'knucles' that theoretically you could break off and eat individuyally. In reality you'd need to have teeth like a horse to bite one off or leave the bar in the sun for a while but then the chocolate would all melt off.

These were delicious and cost 3d I think.

I used to buy one once a week on the way to woodwork class. I went to Marist Newtown which was a small school and didn't have workshops. To go to woodwork class we had to walk down Tasman Street to the polytech in Buckle Street passing the 'dairy' by the Boy's Institute on the way. This place stocked some great things like the afore-mentioned slab and these:





















This 'dairy' was where I first discovered Banana Bikes which had just been introduced.


Yummy
Banana Bikes weaned me off the chocolate thingy.















4 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

There is a dairy in Wadestown just after you go through the cutting and crest the rise that sells the toffee milks.
We have a client much further up and on the way back my wife yearns for a mild santa bar. Not dark or milk. Mild in the blue wrapping.
I often buy one for less than a dollar and chewing it on the way back to the motorway takes me back to Marist Thorndon, green lined caps and Brother Benedict.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Ah, Brother Benedict is never far away.


We did woodwork at the same place.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

A useful skill to learn.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"A useful skill to learn."

What? Making sure that Brother Benedict is far away?