Wednesday 24 February 2016

JUMPING JACK FLASH ...


I finally decided to replace the old gas hob on top of our stove as vital bits were falling off it.
I'd replaced the oven before going overseas which was pretty easy even though it involved the services of an electrician so assumed that hob replacement would be the same.

Part one

First off I went to Harvey Normans after checking on the internet the availability of a hob to match the brand of the oven. Job done and HN's were having a sale so off we went.
We bought said hob for $495 down from the listed $699 so felt that we had a good deal. We paid our money only to discover that they didn't have one in stock apart from the display model which they needed for the duration of the sale.
"No problem" said the salesman, "we'll get one from central stores and call you when it's in.".

OK, no problem.

But .....problem.
After nearly two weeks I hadn't heard from HN so went in to see them.
"Where's my hob?" I asked only to be told it hadn't arrived yet.
I said that this was a bit strange as it only had to come from Auckland didn't it only to get and "umm"
from the saleswoman.
"You mean it's on a boat somewhere yet to come in?" I asked escalating my tone up from the previous courteous query.
"Yes" she said to which I remonstrated that it just wasn't good enough as they took my money up front and didn't even have a unit in the country let alone in stock.
She said that she'd get the manager.

The manager came along and turned out to be the same guy who'd sold it to us 2 weeks before.
"This isn't good enough" I repeated to him "you took our money up front giving the impression that you'd get a unit from stores".
He apologised a lot but I repeated my dissatisfaction.

"Look" he said "I'll do you a good deal on another unit if you like".

We looked at some other units that were either too expensive (2 grand) or too large until he showed me one that would fit but had a sell price of $1100. After a lot of umming and ahhing and fiddling with a calculator he said that he had a great price for me but it would involve me paying a bit extra.
"How much extra" I asked suspiciously.
"100 dollars" he replied.
We'd spent $495 originally so now we'd be paying $595 for a product listed at $1100.
It seemed to me that by paying the $100 we'd be getting the product at cost which seemed OK so I agreed, paid the extra and happily tootled off with my purchase.
Sometimes it pays to make a fuss.

Part two

The guy from HN impressed on me that I would need to get a gas fitter to connect the unit so did an internet search on local ones and contacted a service. They wanted to know whether I had a gas certificate. I'd never heard of a gas certificate and told him that when we bought the house seven years ago one didn't come with the house papers.
I could hear him sucking in his breath.
"Where is the gas bottle at present" he asked.
"In the pantry behind the oven wall" I replied.



More sucking.
"Is it vented?" he asked.
"No, it's just a large cupboard" I replied.
Silence.
"We'd better get someone out there he said after asking me to email photos of the existing unit and its location.

I asked one of my neighbours who is a plumber but no longer has a gas fitting license what the story was.
He said that without a gas certificate, if there was a fire the insurance company would not pay out and that gas fittings had to be done by licensed gas fitters.
I chose that moment to describe the previous owners in choice detail.

The gas fitter duly arrived and did a great job of taking out the old unit and installing the new one.
He drilled a hole through an exterior wall out to the deck and ran a copper pipe out to where the gas bottle will now be located.




Job done.

Old hob destined for the tip

New hob ready to go



But ...

Part three

The gas cylinder is out on the deck exposed to the elements particularly the sun which I wasn't happy about.
I thought that a nice wooden box or cabinet would be the answer and suggested to the Old Girl that I'd build one.
After she finally stopped laughing she told me that she was very happy with my performance in most things but that D.I.Y wasn't one of them.
Bloody cheek!
Still, she's right so today I went in to town to try and buy a suitable box or cabinet.
I went to the warehouse, Mitre 10, Bunnings, Placemakers, furniture stores, demolition warehouse, second hand stores and even pet stores (looking at wooden kennels) but found nothing suitable. At Placemakers the woman I asked said that she was looking for exactly the same thing and would I let her know if I found one!

I eventually gave up on the cabinet idea and went back to the warehouse to look for a small BBQ cover.
I found one that fitted a small charcoal burner ($20) and headed towards the checkout counter. On the way I spied a big display of kitset outdoor wooden furniture including a 'cushion box'. This was a slatted wooden box about a metre and a half long, 600mm high and same deep with a lid. Normal price was $269. Special price $110. I bought one and easily (for me) assembled it. The gas bottle fits perfectly (or will once I drill a hole through the back for the gas pipe).




Job done ...at last.








2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

People in these shops are sales people with no idea how to make things work. Please don't get me started!

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Blah blah blah... play band of brothers on Xbox.