Friday 18 July 2008

QUEUING


Generally I don't mind queuing - it's often necessary and should be done in a fair and orderly manner kind of like I remember the tuck-shop queue at school where everyone (except that fat kid) would behave themselves and line up to be served.
Today though when I discovered that my drivers license was due to expire I went to the Land Transport (AA) office to renew and discovered that they still adopted the same methods as in the days when I queued at the tuck shop. They haven't moved on. In the days now of on-line business in all forms, why should it take so bloody long to simply renew a license and pay your fees.
I parked on a downtowm 'meter' for an hour (cost me four bucks!) and went in to the office where there was a long queue. Halfway through the queue a helpful advisor came along to check what everone was queuing for (one queue and at least five different functions needed - new license, renewed license, driving test application etc.) and established I needed a special form and had to leave the queue (as others did), go to a console and fill it out and then rejoin the queue.
Watching the processing of people in front I observed that it took at least ten minutes each for people to hand over the form, probably recount their life story, get photographed etc before paying their forty bucks. Fuck! I have had a drivers license for forty years and still have to go through this shit. Halfway down the line I realised that my parking meter time had run out so I had to leave. An hour and a quarter of wasted time without a result. Archaic.

No comments: