Sunday 27 December 2009

I DO LIKE TO BE BESIDE THE SEASIDE


There is something infinitely relaxing about being beside the sea (unless its Bali on Boxing Day). Tidal changes, the sounds of lapping water, shimmering reflections, diving gannets, jumping fish and bobbing boats all offer gentle distractions. We lived by the sea in Point chevalier also and enjoyed that as well. What I have noticed already over this holiday period is a different sound. The sound of children. Children screaming with delight. Children play-fighting. Children arguing. Children forging new friendships and alliances. Children enthusiastically embracing what is around them. Where were the Point Chevalier children? I know that they existed as every school morning their mothers blocked the streets with their 4W-drive vehicles delivering them right to the school doors. After school and on weekends the precious babies were locked up inside or barricaded in back yards (never front yards) for safety. Are these the same children that the parents have brought on holiday? I don't think so. These kids have the confidence to jump off the diving platform, paddle kayaks, snorkel and to ride horses. I love their sounds of laughter.

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I don't like children. Perhaps I would make a better Comeinyourpants than you?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"All in all it's just another brick in the wall."

Anonymous said...

Definitely it is great to be close to the sea shore. Though I prefer to paddle when no one much is around.