Monday 8 March 2010

OUT OF WHACK

When I went for a walk this morning I grabbed a handful of loose change to buy a newspaper. I needed nine of the new 20c coins and as I counted these pathetic pieces of metal I thought of the substantial two shilling pieces with a reasonably high silver content that we had when I was a kid. These were to be treasured, hoarded and secured from marauding siblings. There was real value in them and they had a reassuring weight and feel. Needing 9 coins to buy the $1.80 NZ Herald made me think of when I sold newspapers in Wellington and they were 4 pence each.  With 6 times 4 pence to make 2 shillings and 9 of these needed to buy the newspaper the factor rate is 36. At the time I was selling 4 penny newspapers the weekly take home wage for workers was about 20 pounds. If we factor that up by 36 then the weekly average would be 720 pounds or 1,440 dollars which equates to about $75,000 per year. Now I know that the average wage for workers is not $75,000 per year so the fat cat owners of newspapers have a lot to answer for. Something is out of whack.

4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

"Something is out of whack."
Comeinyourpants, I think that, in your case, it should read "Something is out for a whack".

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Peter. The minimun wage should be $15 too.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Based on cost of living today the average wage should be $20 per hour but I was talking about the obscene amount of money that Rupert Murdoch-type newspaper owners have been making out of us over the recent years.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for side tracking you.
Is it just me but everyone seems out of sorts today!