Sunday 21 August 2011

"BRING THREE AND FOUR-PENCE WE'RE GOING TO A DANCE"

OK, I'm going a bit deaf, or, need my ears syringed. The Old Girl knows this but she still talks to me over her shoulder while exiting a room or, worse still, from another room entirely. Half of the time I don't have a clue what she is saying so just ignore her (dangerous) or respond in a really obtuse way which tends to irritate her (fun).
My father started to have hearing problems at about the same age that I am now and I remember that he used to get frustrated that we weren't talking clearly and we got frustrated at him always saying "What? Speak up!" If I have damaged my ears it is most likely that it was due to loud music at concerts, with ear-phones and listening to very loud music in the car. I haven't driven tanks and fired off artillery rounds like my Dad and have only a couple of times operated a kanga-hammer (pneumatic drill) so can't think of what else might have caused it. There is Richard (of RBB's) bass playing I suppose but as sustained listening would be needed this is ruled out.

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

My dad worked in engine rooms all his life, but Chris now has similar ear problems. I think it's in the genes. Touch wood (double bass wood) I've been lucky so far.

Anonymous said...

I've always scratched my ears with cotton buds. Apart from a high pitch ringing and permanemt hearing loss in my right ear it hasn't done any real damage!

Valley Girl said...

Well they use a gentle suctioning method now to unblock waxy ears. Apparently syringing is out as it is now thought by medical practioners to be harmful to ones hearing and delicate inner ear workings. My Dad was a teacher all his career and he often had his ears syringed out due to temporary deafness. Hoever he used to be in a Jazz band to, before I came along. I also worked with a teacher who was deaf in one ear and attributed this to teaching noisy kids. She even put in a gradual hearing loss claim to ACC and had it accepted! Dont reckon deafness is hereditary, but environmnetal, and also hearing does become imparied with age.