Sunday 14 August 2011

THE STUPIDEST THINGS I'VE DONE (1)

I was thinking today of some of the stupidest things that I have done in my life and believe me there have been a lot of them.
Do we learn from our mistakes? I believe in empirical knowledge but that doesn't stop me wanting to press that big red button that has "DON'T PRESS" written on it, or touching the hot fry-pan to see if it is hot, or locking myself outside before checking that I have a key......

I thought that I would jot down some of them as a reminder to not do it again.

#1. DON'T TELL A GIRLFRIEND/WIFE/LOVER THAT YOU ARE GOING TO TRAVEL OVERSEAS WITH ANOTHER WOMAN.

 Seems obvious doesn't it but this is exactly what I did.
Years ago, before I met the love of my life affectionately referred to in this blog as The Old Girl I was set to travel to Scotland to attend my sister's wedding. For a couple of months I had been going out with a current girlfriend, a lovely and attractive young woman (CG) and we enjoyed each other's company. A previous girlfriend (PG) of mine with which the relationship had ended badly (her fault, honestly) had experienced some problems and, as we had kept in touch, knew I was travelling to Scotland to the wedding and asked if she could go with me. I said yes as she knew my sister and we made plans. Intending to travel as friends and doing so because of PG's situation I naively told CG of the plan saying that PG was an old girlfriend and the trip was on a platonic basis.

The news went down rather coolly I thought but then got busy making the plans and then going away for I think 3 to 4 weeks (England, Scotland, France).
The trip was good apart from getting a horrendous head cold that rendered me deaf for 3 days when I flew to France to travel to Burgundy and Bordeaux on a wine buying trip and the wedding was superb (Grey Friars church, wearing a kilt, whisky etc.). When I got back home though I discovered that CG had taken a posting to a ski resort town for the season (doctoring) and wouldn't be back for several months. I went down there as soon as I could get a weekend off which meant that it had been about 6 or 7 weeks since we had last seen each other. Things did not exactly go well as basically she had already struck up an acquaintance with a colleague down there. How unfair was that?


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"been going out with a current girlfriend, a lovely and attractive young woman"

Hope the "old girl" doesn't read this you two timer you!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

The Old Girl was looking over my shoulder as I was writing it.

Richard (of RBB) said...

TSB could have written this post, except they'd obviously be another picture.

word verification = nompous
Make of it what you will.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

TSB hardly posts anymore and, since his wife made him move the computer to where she can see what he is doing, he is unlikely to post salacious pictures.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Okay, what is another silly thing you've done?