Friday 1 February 2013

I DIDN'T LIKE PAUL HOLMES

Sorry, but I'm not going to start babbling out fond anecdotes just because he died.
I'm sorry that he has died. Don't get me wrong, I regret any fairly decent joker dying. I've had enough deaths of friends and family to last my lifetime already but it annoys me when a celebrity goes, whether  a loved one or a controversial one, that the people who depend on having their own reputations in the public glare always mumble all sorts of platitudes.

The TV One 'eulogist' tonight had the gall to say "half of us loved him and the other half tried not to". What utter crap. I didn't like him and his politics, his flippancy, his smart-arse irreverence and his cheap tabloid-style of jounalism. I certainly never 'tried not to love him'. Jeez!

It intrigued me to see politicians, media figures and 'A' listers who have been at contratemps with Holmes suddenly saying 'what a great loss etc". Hypocrites.



5 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Yes I agree it showed a bias in our media coverage.
Many good men where passed over too so he could be knighted.

Valley Girl said...

HIs recent decline has saddenne dme as it bough back recolectins of my own dear mother who passed at 63 like Holmes and who also had heart problems and cancer at the same time. When I saw him on TV being interviewed onthe day of his Knighting, he reminded and looked so much as Mum did in her final weeks, struggling to talk and breathe at the same time. Also theat sunken look on hte eyes and face. I said to my family - he's not long for this world he looked just like Mum did in her last weeks. Regardless of what he was in life or career he was still someone husband, father, brother and son. I do feel for his family at this sad time. I to ohave had enough deaths in my immediate family in the last few years. It never gets any easier.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

VG, I said in the post that I'm sorry he died and was ill.
We all have experiences of loved ones going that way (or sooner). What I'm saying though is that just because he was sick and died we shouldn't make him a saint (or even have given him a Knighthood).
He was a tabloid journalist. The kind of over the top emotive outpourings that have and will happen remind me of Diana Spencer's death (that in-bred, royalty bimbo).

Richard (of RBB) said...

Curmudgeon (The), you're in fine form tonight!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

The Old Girl is in Auckland so I'me allowed to stay up late.