Sunday 28 July 2013

SOUL FOOD

I've had a stressful few days - leaving the house up North and my cat to spend the last week in Auckland before taking off overseas. The car selling arrangements fell through (almost) as they are demanding that the cam belt is replaced before they will buy it. In a flurryon Saturday  I organised for an emergency cam belt job to be done on Monday so hopefully it will all still go through. I'm running out of days to get things done. Off to Wellington on Tuesday, a plumber coming in Wednesday, locksmith Thursday and flying out Friday.

Last night I had a wonderful dinner with Mike and family and Tony and Alison. Pleasant company and a nice catch-up.

This morning I was awoken early (7.15) with telecom ringing to say that they have reinstated my e-mail account (they stopped it by mistake on Saturday and it has all my travel, passport, immigration, work permit information in the folders). Good now - all sorted but why they can't follow instructions properly in the first place I don't know. I made arrangements a month ago and on Thursday when cancelling the phone line and fixed broadband I made arrangements to keep the xtra account going but some technician obviously didn't read the worksheet properly. A sign of the times I suppose.

As I was awake early on a Sunday I went for a walk in the city and had breakfast at the new bagel place co-owned by Al Brown (this guy is a wizard - kind of like a Rick Stein of New Zealand) named Best Ugly.
The salmon, caper and cream cheese bagel I had was superb.


On the way back along Wellesley Street I heard the bells ringing from St Matthews in the city. This is the wonderful Anglican cathedral, the one that has the controversial billboards outside.



I went in and there was a 4 person and conductor choral group rehearsing for the morning service accompanied by the organ. I stayed for a few songs that were beautifully performed with the voices soaring to the high vaulted ceiling.



Feeling suitably refreshed in spirit I thanked the attendants and made my way home.

I think that god-beliefs and religion is a load of claptrap but I've always liked the trappings that go along with the High Anglican and Catholic services. To me it is a celebration of man's accomplishments in architecture, art and music. Sitting in a cathedral and listening to beautiful music - what could be better?

4 comments:

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Lovely bagels...but why Toronto?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

lynn has got a 2 year contract there with her work.
We thought it'd be a bit of an adventure so off we go (she's already over there)

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

well I never...go away for 7 months and it all goes to custard.

Anyway, hope everything goes well, and enjoy your Poutine, not to be confused with Putain.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...



































dGod believers and religion are nonsense... clap trap .. a device for gaining applause...next you'll be saying only the simple minded acknowledge UFOs.