Sunday 2 February 2014

WHEN THE CHIPS ARE DOWN


Canada can't make chips. Or, at least Toronto can't. They are disgusting. Shrivelled, soggy, funny tasting things are passed off as french fries. What's wrong with these people? You'ld think that someone would travel and try a decent french fry in another country and come back with some better ideas.

I like to make my own version of oven baked chips. I par-boil potatoes, slice them thickly, sprinkle them with a good oil and bake in a hot oven for half an hour. In New Zealand the result is exceptional. When I try to do it here the result is very ordinary although not as bad as the take away bought chips.
The problem is in the available potatoes. In New Zealand I use Agria potatoes. These have a slightly yellow flesh and a beautiful flavour that suits all methods of cooking - baked, roasted, mashed or boiled. In Toronto we cannot get Agria. I've been using what they term yellow flesh potatoes but these are not Agria. They are better than the white and red skin potatoes which are basically crap but still a far cry from what I'm used to.

I'm looking forward to coming home for some decent chips.


2 comments:

Robert and the Catholics said...

We live near an award winning fish and chip shop.
They are very good and enjoyable. But I always suspect the oil or fat is not changed enough in all these places.
Do they actually tip out the old oil or fat at the end of the day as one would desire?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Use your olfactory senses Second. When you enter a takeaway shop take notice of what you smell. If there is an unpleasant smell of old grease then bugger off out of there. If the smell is pleasant, of good oil, then stay.