Monday 19 January 2015

REGRETS # 3

I've seen a lot of New Zealand, having lived in both the North and South Island over the years and have taken time to get about.

I used to go tramping a bit and for many years went skiing at most of the country's ski-fields.
I loved the mountains so much that I used to visit Taranaki and Ruapehu in the summer months as well climbing as far as I could. Mountains have a mysterious power which is compelling and I can understand why mountaineers take such risks.

Mount Taranaki
Mount Ruapehu


There are some parts of New Zealand that I haven't seen yet however and I regret not having done so before. I haven't been to Great Barrier Island, Stewart Island or the Chatham Islands and must make the effort sometime soon.

Two years ago The Old Girl visited Stewart Island with a friend of ours from Baltimore. It was the first time that either of them had been there and T.O.G. reports that it was well worth the visit. Being so far away from the centre of things it was like stepping back in time perhaps to the '70's. This appeals to me.

Port Pegasus - Stewart Island


She explored a bit and enjoyed the birdlife there.


No comments: