Saturday 25 February 2017

THE NICEST PEOPLE I'VE KNOWN PART 1.

I haven't written a post series for a while like the 'lucky' series, the 'stupid' series, the 'worst' series etc. that I've done in the past. Usually I start off with great intentions and then the series sputter out after a few.

This time I'll see if I can do better and the theme is THE NICEST PEOPLE I'VE KNOWN.
Fortunately I've met a lot of nice people who have enriched my life so I'll do the posts in groupings rather than individuals.

Part 1 will be the Religious people that have crossed my life. Religious is written as a proper noun to denote people who are part of religious orders rather than just those nutters and 'god-botherers' who don't belong to religious orders but who still feel that they should bang on about it to all and sundry - you know the sort of people I mean.

The Religious orders I will refer to are all Catholic as I was educated in the Catholic faith so consequently was taught by Nuns, Brothers and Priests.

Not all of these were nice people but the majority certainly were.

NUNS

Not Ray Nunns who worked at Murray Roberts years ago. While not exactly not nice, Ray was a funny rogue but a little bit bent. A bit of a con man and definitely dodgy.

No, I mean these people.



When I was at primary school (St Joseph's and St Anne's) from 1957 through 1961the Sister of Mercy nuns wore the whole kit and kaboodle like in the photo graph above - the second from the left not the scary one on the far right. Nowadays nuns have gone 'mufti' wearing normal clothing which kind of takes the fun and mystique out of it in the way that Mass services lost it in the late 60s when they dropped the latin service.

Over the four or so years that I was in Primary there were some nice nuns who took a real interest in what we were doing and who were really good teachers. Being cloistered and celibate, let alone having to wear those heavy black togs through all seasons though took a toll on some who were just plain mad or frightening.



One, I can't remember her name, used to wander around the classroom holding a two foot ruler which she would slam down on fidgeting hands or use the long leather belt she wore to slap
 the backs of thighs.
I'm sure that this later boosted Wellington's dominatrix business with some of those little Catholic boys becoming regular customers.



A couple of nuns who I do remember were Sister Mary Agatha (they all had the middle name Mary) and sister Mary Lucille.
Agatha was pretty old (or seemed so to a 5 year old) but was caring and looked after us if we were sick and used to visit my parents socially.
 Lucille was young (probably late teens or early 20s) and I remember being confused about her name thinking that she was a seal



which wasn't helped by the fact that she was wearing black head to toe.
















These nuns and others helped shape who I am from an early age as the 3Rs were accompanied by teachings of social values of honesty, fairness and integrity and, at this stage weren't confused by the bullshit of catechism.


BROTHERS




I was taught by Marist Brothers through the Intermediate years from 1962 through 1965. In old money this was Standards three through to Standard six. I went to Marist Newtown which was a superior school (Richard and Robert went to Marist Thorndon which was a bit dodgy).

I  thoroughly enjoyed my time at Marist although I can't remember the names of the Brothers who taught me except for the sociopathic Brother Paulinus. See Here:


Paulinus was a bit of a nutter I think but I remember a really nice teacher in Standard 5 who seemed a lot more 'normal' than the others. He didn't cane us the way the others did, especially Paulinus. I remember once getting a real thrashing by Paulinus for something as innocent as a bit of fun and pushing on the bus home and got 'the cuts' on my hands and bum that left marks for ages. Bastard!



The 'Standards' were a time of learning things beyond reading, writing and arithmetic, and science, social studies (geography and history) featured along with that godawful catechism. The nuns had glossed over this gobbledy-goop in a kind of naive acceptance of its 'truths'. The Brothers, all wannabe priests I think took it a bit further but in a totally unquestioning way. You had to accept that Jesus resurrected himself miraculously and 'ascended' into heaven and Mary his virgin (?) mother was assumed (good word that) into heaven by Jesus's power kind of like the way that the money and receipts in James Smith and DIC department stores whooshed along those vacuum pipes on the ceiling.



If you didn't accept this you got caned.

Despite this however, and probably due to the care and attention of the couple of nice Brothers (the one in Standard 5 and another in Standard 3) the concepts of right and wrong - basically conscience were formed which have guided me through my life.

Here is an interesting take on this period by Stephen Oliver who I think was a year or so ahead of me at the same school. His memory is much better than mine but I remember the music teacher and Stephen Keith the soloist. Go to this link here:





PRIESTS

I attended St Patrick's College from 1966 through 1970 - third form to seventh form.
This was a pretty good school - actually at the time one of the country's best secondary schools and from it I got a good education.

The catechism continued now under the guise of 'Religious Studies' although from memory we only ever studied the Catholic version of Christianity and certainly never went near any non- Christian religions.

The teaching priests were all Seminary educated and had various teaching degrees and some had Divinity degrees. This meant that the blind and naive teaching of catechism (by rote) was replaced with an enquiring and searching analysis of the concepts - or at least that's what they pretended.
The basic tenets of the Catholic faith and Christian and non-Christian religions are of course bullshit and indefensible. Some if not all of the priests knew this I guess and almost wryly referred to it from time to time. This is why we had a dedicated religious teacher in each form which meant the science teacher could concentrate on science (definitely a conflict for Catholicism) and the mathematics teacher could concentrate on mathematics etc. There were a lot of teaching priests (and some lay teachers) so Richard and Robert didn't necessarily have the same ones that I did.

Father Bliss (I kid you not, that was his name) was the dedicated religious teacher that I had through the years. He kind of latched on to me in the third and fourth form realising that I ducked out of chapel services, confessions, prayers etc. and so he conferred on me the honour of being a Sacristan (my role was ensuring the numerous chapels throughout the school were stocked daily with fresh hosts for mass service). This didn't really have the desired effect. See here:




So, Father Bliss kind of gave up on me from then on but I found him to be an intelligent and interesting man. In the religious studies, named at one stage Christian Doctrine I think, I ignored all the claptrap that Robert obviously soaked up and instead concentrated on the more interesting and useful stuff - the science of morality. This teaching rounded out the social values teachings from the Nuns and the sense of conscience from the Brothers to become Ethics - a way of living that I try to follow.


There were a few oddballs at this school given that it had such a large teaching staff. I'm not aware of any paedophillic behaviour from the priests (although a lay-teacher was dismissed because he caned pupils bare backsides) but there were a couple who had alcohol issues. There were some really nice blokes there who really shouldn't have been priests and should have lead normal lives. Hopefully in the future, the stupid Catholic Church will allow priests to marry (partners of either sex) and become more natural. Maybe this new Pope can get something going there. Perhaps Robert can enlighten us.



I recall a good mathematics teacher, an excellent if eccentric science teacher, a reverential rector (headmaster) and a lot of others who helped in my studies and and growing up.



There were a couple of bastards as well, one being a psychopathic discipline master who was almost as bad as Brother Paulinus. Generally though these priest/teachers could happily have been friends or associates in a different life. Some of my classmates kept up contact with these guys but once I went to university I no longer had any further connection with them. I hope that they fared well in their lives.


10 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Interesting post. I attended the same college and came out unscathed and some wonderful teachers influenced my choice of profession and taught me skills I still use today, Mr Ryan, English teacher, introduced me to Coleridge.
Are we just a little bit guilty of knocking the Catholic education system without having an equal insight into the public system? We did learn that God created the world and has an even better place prepared for those that are prepared to wait on God.
The poor kids in the public system are taught to denounce a creator and basically rely on the joke that is most often termed science.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Here we go!

1. Did I say that I came out 'scathed'? I suggest that you read the post first before commenting. I had a great education that culminated in St Patricks and I am truly grateful for it.

2. Good on those teachers who influenced your choice of profession. Did they have shares in cleaning product companies by any chance?

3. Mr Ryan introduced you to Coleridge then did he? May he rot in hell although, if he read the Ancient Mariner himself then he's already been there.

4. I didn't knock the Catholic education system. I in fact said that at the time I thought St Patrick's College to be one of the best secondary schools in the country. I also said that my Primary and Intermediate schools gave me a good education and a good sense of social responsibility and conscience.

5. I admit that all through the three levels the schools tried to inculcate in me a belief that "God created the world and has an even better place prepared for those that are prepared to wait on God." ( although at Secondary school even the priest/teachers knew that this was a crock of shit).

6. What the fuck do you know about what the kids in the 'Public sector' are taught? How frigging arrogant is it to say "The poor kids in the public system are taught to denounce a creator and basically rely on the joke that is most often termed science." That's the sort of shit that I said in my post that non Religious order people - as in the god-bothering nutters- say.

7. Feel free to respond after actually reading the (admittedly long) post. I can always reduce it down to a 'Readers Digest' version if you want.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Mmmm.
I just re-read my response to 'Geremy' above and I sound a bit angry.
Sorry about that but I get a bit peeved when I get this nonsensical religious rubbish tossed at me.
This rejection of science, logic and commonsense in favour of wishy- washy belief in fairy tales and brainwashed hokum, particularly when it comes from an intelligent person who has had the same education as me and who has a science based degree bewilders me. No wonder the world is in a mess given that Robert/Geremy is in the upper percentile of intelligent people and there are a hell of a lot more 90 per enters and below out there who share similar and even more extreme and stupid beliefs.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Mm again.
My 'apology' sounds just as angry.

Sorry about that ......

Richard (of RBB) said...

6. I teach in the public sector in a low decile school. Actually a lot of the students (and quite a few teachers) are deeply religious - even a few science teachers. The Samoan community make up about 20% of our school and most of them are very committed Christians. They certainly are not taught to denounce any creator - though I must admit to biting my toungue quite a bit when religious shit is spoken. The Maori population is (40%) and the emersion guys say a prayer after each lesson. I'm not sure who they're praying to but it sounds like some sort of semi-Christian thing.

When I was at St Patrick's it was basically falling down. I enjoyed playing in the school brass band and I usually enjoyed rugby. Fr P J O'Niell was an outstanding maths teacher but a lot of teachers were pretty average. One guy (Pigmy) used to bash our heads on our desks. I think I'd go to prison if I did this to one of my students. In the 5th form Fr Terry O'Niell (a big time boozer) seldom showed up to English class and sent over these comprehension exercises. We did them, and nothing else, every day, all year. Somehow I passed School Cert. English, probably thanks to prior teaching by Mrs Carr.

Prior to SPC there was Marist Thorndon - we had 4 teachers; 2 pediaphile brothers who touched my dick and one old lady teacher who taught me an awful lot about English grammar (she got me through School Cert. years later when my English teacher was pissed). The 4th place was filled by a few different brothers (they came and went over my time there) who basically seemed okay.

At St Vincent's I remember two nuns - one seemed really nice and was a good teacher. The other could be a bit sadistic.

Overall I think it's pretty accurate to say that, in the 1960s, a lot of the Catholic Education system was fucked. Though it worked fine for Brother Benedict and Brother Leon because they liked a bit of young cock.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Yes, well, thanks for that Richard.

Robert?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Okay, okay, it's the next morning. Was I a little hard on the Marist Bros and the Catholic Church?
Two of my brothers also attended Marist Thorndon and they don't seem to remember any dick fiddling by the good Brothers (they were there in the same era). Maybe it was just a different time? Maybe the poor old Catholic Church gets a bad wrap?
I may be wrong but, if I am not imagining things, putting your hand up students' pants is not what teachers are supposed to do. I remember quite a few things from those days. I have stories I could tell. There have been many 'stories' about brothers and priests over the last 20 years or so that tend to support what I say. Personally I don't think any big religious organisation is a healthy place to be. Robert was a bit hard on scientists in his original comment. There is an important difference between how scientists work and how religious believers work.
A scientist puts up an idea and other scientists try to disprove it. When it is shown that the idea was not accurate the scientist accepts it and they all move on with another line of thought. Religious believers never shift on what they believe. They can't because, if they are wrong, they lose their identity. Christians like to fall back on The Bible when the conversation gets tough. The Bible is a book of many messages. Some nice, some not so nice. The Bible cannot be validated as the Word of God. As I've said before, if the bible is the word of an all knowing and all loving god, tell me why he didn't include a recipe for Paracetamol - think of all the suffering that could have been avoided through the ages. Also, where is the advice on hygene? "And Moses told his followers to never build your toilet near the clean water supply."

Okay, who's next?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Interesting points made there about Robert's "all knowing and all loving god"

As Robert and is cronies don't believe in evolution, why do they then accept that their god gave 'gifts' to the faithful in the form of stone tablets, manuscripts, parables and teachings etc. These things had to evolve into their current forms - evolution at work.
Why didn't the all knowing joker cut straight to the chase and give the old Israelites electricity, laptops, smartphones and other useful stuff 2000 or more years ago and be done with it.

It's interesting that bugger all has happened re god and Jesus stuff for 2000 years or more. This bible reported lots of miracles and strange happenings way back then but not a whisker since. Why?

Ex Anon said...

I remember Pygmy, aka Fr McCann. Other than dwarfs, I believe he was the tiniest human being I ever met, and a nasty little sod he was. I've heard he's still alive, which would put him well into his 80s now. I never knew him to get physical, such as slamming people's heads as one person commented, but he was a verbal bully who just seemed forever to be in a foul mood and to be always yelling like an army drill master. For a little guy, he had a huge, huge voice. I started at SPC in 1967 and heard that, the year before, he tore shreds off a poor Samoan lad. The story went that the boy snapped, punched McCann in the face, hung him on a clothes hook and left the school, never to return. The punchline, which I hope is true, is that all the kids in the general vicinity scuttled out of sight when he screamed at them to get him down. Apparently Pygmy literally was left hanging.

I never heard that Fr Terry O'Neill was a drunk. I found him to be a very compassionate, caring bloke who on one occasion took my side against another priest when he felt I'd been treated unfairly. I can understand why he would have become a priest but I certainly can't understand why horrors like McCann and Bro Paulinus would have. They were more cut out for concentration camp duties.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I heard the story about Pygmy (McCann) being hung on a clothes peg and left there so it sounds as it was true. Good job to the Samoan lad!