Tuesday 19 September 2017

TIRED





I'm tired.

I don't think I slept well and had to get up early ....... to play tennis.
We play on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8.30 to midday. That's quite a long time for old buggers.


We're actually social amongst ourselves but at coffee break sit around and discuss politics, crime, school teachers and cleaners and get a bit homicidal.

After tennis I came home for lunch (tuna and spicy noodles) and sat down to read thereby promptly falling asleep. I was woken by mate Rod - the one who thankfully has bought a car - and whom I'd been playing tennis with, to ask me to go for a walk around the bay with him. I grumbled and moaned and made all sorts of excuses but could see that he wasn't going to bugger off so I agreed and set off with him. Yesterday's bad weather had gone so it was a pleasant hour and a half walk but when I got home i discovered that I was .....tired.

I had another snooze and this time (it was later in the afternoon) I was awakened by my cat Willow. She who had been bloody sleeping all day decided that as it was 4.30 (how does she know that?) it was time for her meal.




After sorting her out I decided to sort out my evening meal. Looking in the fridge and freezer the makings of 'mince and tatties' eventuated. My mince has as ingredients: lamb mince; onion; garlic; spring onion; home-made stock; capsicum; peas; carrot; various herbs; soy sauce; Worcester sauce; anything else of interest lurking in the fridge or pantry. 'Tatties' will be mashed potatoes with Parmesan cheese.

It's after 6pm now and the mince mixture has been quietly simmering and the potatoes peeled and ready to be boiled.
I made a pact with myself on Sunday that I wouldn't drink this week. Not at all. None. Nada. On Sunday night I opened an alcohol-free bottle of wine, a 'Shiraz' and had a couple of glasses. I had another glass of this concoction last night with my meal. Tonight, looking at the one third bottle of alcohol-free 'Shiraz' in the fridge and at the makings of my Tuesday nights meal - 'mince and tatties' - I relented. I opened a bottle of Esk Valley Hawkes Bay Chardonnay that I'd bought on special last week and guzzled down a couple of glasses. It was (is) good. Not as good as that slippery bastard the Te Mata Chardonnay I talked about in a previous post but still pretty bloody good.

I've got to stop doing this.

(Not stopping drinking wine obviously)

No, I've got to stop making these stupid pacts with myself.

3 comments:

THE CURMUDGEON said...

**WARNING** WARNING**

Walk away now oenophiles and onanists (well that covers Richard and Robert at least) as what I'm about to tell you will shock you.


I cooked my meal and it was delicious. I drank a glass of chardonnay with the 'mince and tatties'. It was an OK combination but lacked something.

It needed a glass of red wine basically.
I'd opened a bottle of white wine and, with a nod to my earlier pact with myself i thought that opening a bottle of red would be bad form . I had a 'Eureka' moment. I mixed a 50:50 mix of the Hawkes Bay Chardonnay and the Australian non-alcohol Shiraz together. Result? OK. Not an own goal but certainly an away win. Experimentation is the key but I'm sure hat The Wine Guy will disagree.

Robert and the Catholics said...

Have you ever mixed lager with a sav blanc?

Richard (of RBB) said...

You talk of falling asleep but how many other people are led into slumberland by posts like this?