Sunday 3 September 2017

THAT DAY

Robert and Richard had a bit of a Fathers Day theme going with their blogs today.
I hope that they had a good one. I know that Richard is a great dad and that his son and daughter respect him. Robert is by all accounts a very good stepdad and step granddad. I hope that he is well respected also.

I don't have children. It's just one of those things of chance that didn't come my way. I think I would have been a good father and that I would have been respected.

Lynn had a son (he died nine years ago) and I know that she misses him tremendously.  When Lynn and I got together Blair was going on fifteen and was living with his father.  He used to stay with us on weekends though and, later on lived with us in both Christchurch and Auckland during and after his time at university. I didn't have the opportunity of sharing his childhood though which is a shame and a missed opportunity - chance again.

Blair was a nice and courageous young man with many talents. One of the many things that make me proud of him was when he told me that I was more of a father to him than his real dad. That's a legacy that I'm happy to have.


2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

No shit, I actually thought of you, Lynn and Blair today.
We who deal with young ones are always counting our blessings when we know they are safe.
My kids joke about how I always say to them, "Be safe."
It pisses them off at times (no, often).
My feelings are certainly with Lynn and you on these days.
I always remember playing The Last Post for Blair because he is a fallen hero for those of us (me included) who have had battles with depression and anxiety. Both me and Lynn wept that day.
Maybe today, as Robert suggested on his latest (and yet undeleted) post, should be about celebrating all positive relationships between people.
I think that fathers' day was actually started by an American advertising guy looking to sell more stuff.
My son didn't give me a card or a gift today; just a photo of the two of us together with basses. It actually meant heaps.
Love to you both and thoughts about Blair.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks Richard