Tuesday 23 August 2011

GOING COMMANDO....

..... with underpants securely on.
We've had a cracker of a day today. No wind, sunshine, mid 20's temperature - lovely.
I played golf this morning (found 13 balls) and kayaked in the afternoon.
As it was so calm I went right across the harbour to Marsden Point. This involves going across the channel where ships and boats motor along so I had to paddle furiously to cross it. It was a good workout and was harder coming back than going there. By water from McLeod Bay it is about 4 kms to get to where I went.


I skirted around the big ships berthed there, went under and around the wharf and landed on a beautiful white sandy beach. Its typical that an oil refinery gets based at one of the most beautiful parts of the country.
I didn't notice any signs while kayaking but found this on the web after I returned.


This was the area I paddled around. Still, I didn't get shot. I indulged in a bit of a fantasy while I was there though. I imagined myself as a WW2 commando (as you do), sneaking up on a U-boat port and laying explosives.

I put magnetic mines on the ships there and the fuel bunkers, carefully avoiding the sentries before paddling away. I had to rip my shirt in half to muffle the paddle (fantasy) and slipped away into the handy fog bank (fantasy) before the explosions ripped apart the ships and the fuel tanks.



The blast waves and water surge accelerated me away as MG42 bullets probed the mist and hissed into the water around me. Fortunately I had the foresight to take my 21st century kayak with me with the multi-compartments so that any bullets piercing the plastic skin wouldn't totally scupper me.

There was a big swell in the channel and I was a bit tired when I got back home. I had that nice feeling you get after doing some strenuous exercise (and saving the world from fascists).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So now we're in for a petrol shortage because some demented fool blew up our oil reserves?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Well said Second!

Anonymous said...

Phew! I thought I was on my own on this one.

Anonymous said...

نستطيع أن نقدم لكم المزيد من النفط حكم

- Muammar Gaddafi