Thursday 1 May 2014

VESTED INTEREST


A vest of interest



I'm 61 years old.

I know about my body - what bits work well and which bits give me a bit of gyp.

My sister is a very good GP, contributor to medical journals and an adviser to a major hospital.

My brother in law is a departmental head at a major hospital and a very qualified anaesthetist.

A good friend of ours is our family doctor in NZ and one of the best diagnosticians (along with my sister) that I know of.

So.

Why the hell, when I go to a doctors to get a prescription written out do I have to go through a whole bloody inquisition?

When I go to a doctors (I'm living away from NZ and can't call on my family doctor or mys sister) I generally know what the problem is. I take along copies of medical notes (history) and a list of any current medications I'm on. I have a list of past and present ailments and note down any medications that have caused allergic reactions. Just to be helpful.

Doctors don't like the public knowing about their bodies, understanding what symptoms mean and certainly not requesting specific remedies.
This is like stepping on their toes.

To me, doctors are like mechanics. If I have a problem with my car that I know what the problem is I ask a mechanic to:

  • fit a new head gasket
  • replace fuses
  • put in a new battery
  • fit new brake pads
  • etc.
If I don't know what the problem is I bow down to their knowledge and experience and let them investigate and come up with an answer.

When I go to a doctor and know what my problem is and know what the solution is (what medicine is required) I expect them to at least give me the benefit of the doubt and appreciate that I'm not some dumb loony who doesn't know how their body works.

If I happen to have an issue that is new or I don't know what it is I bow down to their superior knowledge and experience and let them investigate and come up with an answer.

They like that.

So. What is it with doctors and the medical profession?

Have they lost sight of who the customer is or do they want to keep the whole business mysterious so that they can overlord it and make more money than they should?

2 comments:

My Spurt said...

You're a thinking kind of guy like me, methinks.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

They like to keep things nicely mysterious.

So when an unexpected bit falls off, you can't blame them.