Friday 16 January 2015

HATS ALL FOLKS



I never used to be a 'hat person'.

I remember my dad in the 50's and 60's always wearing a hat, one of those brimmed fedora types.
It seems all men wore them back then and they were part of the 'uniform' of suits and ties and polished shoes.


For some reason hats fell heavily out of favour in the 70's. Whether this was related to the increasing popularity and acceptance of long hair, I don't know but for a long time people went hatless as a part of style and fashion.

Gradually hats crept back in but they were, and are, casual hats like caps and beanies.

There is now, in the two thousand and teens a resurgence of those brimmed hats but not in the way that men used to wear before. The same hat now can be seen worn by both men and women but normally only on the younger ones.





Old fuckers like me tend to wear caps.

Like this


Not like this

Otherwise you'd look like this


I started to wear caps not out of any fashion statement but because, with age, my hair has 'shrunk' leaving an exposed pate that can get sun burnt.


It's a bugger trying to find the ideal hat though as I don't suit them.

At least I'm not alone in this as anyone can attest who has seen Richard (of RBB) in one of his cowboy hats.

I have quite a few caps and hats now - like The Old Girl has shoes and boots, but I'll just keep collecting them until I find the ultimate one.



5 comments:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

I thought that cowboy hat looked good on my bro.
Those peaked hats don't protect the sides of the face.
Just get a big black wide brim hat from the warehouse and tie it tight under the chin.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"a big black wide brim hat "?
Kind of like your big bro's big flapping underpants?
yeah right.

Anonymous said...

Thank you both for the read and the coffee beans. Looking forward to a caffeine-charged blitz through the book in the Bay sunhine. Chris XX

Anonymous said...

Sorry. That should have read "sunShine". Mind you, I DO like the concept of a "Sun Hine" As in, "I thought the sun shone out of her..."

Richard (of RBB) said...

A new reader? That's better than a new hat.