Sunday 28 August 2016

GETTING ON

It's a great day up here this Sunday. No wind, sunshine and warm (for August).

I went for my walk and decided to go up Mount Aubrey which I haven't done for a couple of months.



As I had to stop 4 or 5 times on the way up I've decided to do this walk once a week with the goal of going to the top without a stop.

At the top I scrambled up to the crown which is the highest point and affords magnificent views around the harbour. Usually when I'm up there there's a bit of a breeze but today there was no wind at all. As a consequence there were millions of tiny midge-like insects flying around in clouds but luckily weren't the biting kind.



On the way down I met an old chap coming up (not Richard of RBB). This guy is 84 and he still has a go climbing up this mountain. His doctor told him to take it easy so he said he was only going up to the second viewing seat - about 2/3 up. I'm impressed.
He used to be a solo round the world yachtsman and can often be seen kayaking in the bay.
His wife was a long distance swimming champion and in Summer swims back and forth along the bay. She's in her 80s.

I need to follow their example and keep fit so the Old Girl and I can enjoy our dotage.



1 comment:

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

"Mount Aubrey takes its name from Harcourt Richard Aubrey, who came to Whangarei from London in 1840. In 1848 he became the Resident Magistrate, Collector of Customs and Emigration Officer for Whangarei and Postmaster for Whangarei Heads".