Wednesday 31 August 2016

THE CAT CAME BACK

Willow went to the vets on Monday for an op on her teeth.

I recently took her in for blood tests and a check-up as I was concerned she might have an overactive thyroid. The tests showed her thyroid activity to be high but within normal levels.
They also showed that she has possible renal problems for which I've put her on a special diet.

Her teeth needed descaling and there was the possibility of having one removed. Apparently bad teeth can contribute to renal failure so I arranged for her to be operated on. Having been away for a couple of years with her being looked after by others has had an effect (I used to brush her teeth occasionally with a special cat tooth brush).
I was worried about this as she is getting on (16+) and the op requires full anaesthesia.
The vet put her on IV fluids on Monday night, knocked her out and checked her teeth on Tuesday and kept her in again on Tuesday night fur further IV fluids and monitoring.
I collected her this morning and she is OK. No teeth were extracted as they were successfully descaled for which I am most relieved. Blood tests show that her renal functions are now down to the high side of normal so the diet is working.

She's back home now investigating the house and garden and occasionally coming up to me and meowing loudly - I'm not sure what she's trying to tell me, probably complaining about the last couple of days. She has a shaven chest where the blood samples were taken and a shaven paw where the IV was inserted but otherwise looks the same. I notice that she isn't rubbing her face against the corners of boxes so the descaling has obviously made her more comfortable.


2 comments:

Tracey said...

Such a sweetie!

Anonymous said...

Sue said ...

Yes it doesn't want too many operations at that age.