Thursday 1 December 2016

RELIGION IS THE OPIATE OF THE MASSES - (but not in Glasgow).

I've been re-watching Rab C. Nesbitt on Lightbox and You Tube over the last few months.
There are many series but all are about life in Goven, a Glasgow urban suburb made up of unemployed and disaffected lower socio-economic people. I think you can imagine an equivalent in New Zealand.
I've never been to Goven but have been to Motherwell in Glasgow which is quite similar. Dire, impoverished with an undercurrent of violence. Going into pubs is a lottery. You certainly wouldn't ask for a Rose or a Chardonnay Richard in a couple of the ones I've been in.

Anyway, this episode here from series 2 - episode 6 is well worth a watch. This episode has religion as a theme and I thought that it might appeal to Robert.
Episodes are just over a half hour but well worth the time spent viewing. Pathos and pain underneath the humour. Enjoy!






2 comments:

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Religion in Glasgow has bugger all to do with religion, and all to do with sectarian warfare.
It can be funny I admit, and I do like Rab C., but it still sucks.

The good part is that most of them don't believe in any God, (apart from their respective football; teams)so the God-botherers are in a distinct minority.

Which should please everyone except Robert.

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Well said. Truly I don't care who believes in God.