Saturday 6 September 2008

E.T. YOU'RE FUCKED - YOU CAN"T PHONE HOME!


Remember when there were phone boxes on every corner in the city and reliably in each little suburb usually by the bus stop next to the grocery store or dairy? Sure sometimes some drunks in the city or kids in the suburbs would piss in them occasionally but normally they were functional.
Then our telecommunications provider, previously the good old Post Office got rid of the phone boxes and gave us little cubicles - I guess so people would feel less inclined to piss in them.
Next our telecommunications provider(s) decided that too many public phones in cubicles (with or without the piss) made it too easy for the public to choose not to buy those cute little (and hellishly expensive to run) cellphones, so, they have conspired to get rid of the public pay-phone system.
When they do feel obliged to provide them (in areas easy for them to service) and cosmetically very rarely placed on public streets, they don't accept coins they are cards only. Another barrier?
Today I was out and about and really needed to find a telephone box or cubicle or kiosk - anything. I drove for miles up and down streets to no avail. Eventually after about a half hour I found a kiosk (card only). The thing is though I wasn't looking for a telephone box to use a phone, I've got two of those horrible mobile devices of my own - I was looking for a telephone book (white pages) to find an address I needed.
Hey! Guess what I found?
Some useless, waste of space bastard had taken the white pages and shredded the yellow ones.
Now why would anyone do that? What is the point?
On the one hand we have evil corporates steering us in directions they want us to go whilst telling us it is all for our benefit and giving us greater choices (yeah right), and on the other hand we have a great portion of the public who piss on, trash, burn, break and ruin the public assets, the very things that they can truly 'own' and that are useful to them like bus shelters, telephone boxes, railway stations, buses etc. and being too fucking stupid to realise that by doing this they are playing into the hands of the Corporates......whew! Got that off my chest.

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

From the number of comments it seems that you really hit the mark with this post!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

I am not so 'hit-rate' obsessed as you and anyway the sort of bloggers you have diverted to my blog are probably too ashamed to comment as they are the ones who have been pissing in the phone boxes and god only knows what they have been doing with the telephone books.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Still, not many comments. In fact, comeinyourpants, just you and I!