Sunday 21 September 2008

THE REWARDS OF COMPLAINING


Last week when The Old Girl was returning from overseas I bought flowers to brighten up the house for her arrival. As I was running late the night before I bought the flowers at Foodtown supermarket being attracted by the 'Fresh' signs all over the cellophane wrappers. I bought many bunches of them outlaying (in men's terms) a small fortune.

I was bitterly disappointed when putting them in vases to find that they were nowhere near fresh and were looking a bit sad - not at all like the ones I get from our local florist. As it was 8PM and T.O.G. was arriving at 5AM next morning there was nothing I could do to remedy the situation. I wasn't going to let it go though so I sent a letter of complaint via the web to Foodtown, quoting the purchase docket details and my dissatisfaction. After several days of to and fro e-mails, Kristin from Foodtown customer services came through brilliantly, personally delivering a very nice bunch of flowers and a beautiful cymbidium plant . This was much appreciated and I have told her so.

Now, whilst I still am disappointed in general with supermarkets offerings (carefully check out the fruit and veg and don't buy anything in cellophane) I am impressed with the handling of my complaint.

Sometimes it pays to be a curmudgeon and complain

4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

But, comeinyourpants, don't you just complain about everything? Sometimes I wish that you could take a page from the wine guy's book. There's a guy who would have got the flowers right the first time around by not stooping to supermarket offerings! Read his site and learn, you moaning old bugger!

Anonymous said...

Grumpy did the right thing to complain.
Good on you Foodtown!

Richard (of RBB) said...

Comeinyourpants moans about everything. Wine person OTOH (on the other hand) is nice.

Anonymous said...

Wine guy is the man!
Grumpy old man reminds me of a caretaker at a little Catholic primary school in Lower Hutt.