Monday 15 December 2008

BUSH GIVEN THE BOOT


George Bush was shoed out of a press conference in Iraq. Bush joked about it (as we all would) but there is cultural significance in the act of throwing shoes at someone which Bush does know (In Iraqi culture, throwing shoes at someone is a sign of contempt. When U.S. Marines toppled Saddam Hussein's statue on Firdos Square in 2003, the assembled crowd whacked it with their shoes.)
What if the journalist threw a bomb, a knife, a double bass? OK, I assume that all the journalists were searched or screened before they came into the press conference but, given the significance, why didn't the authorities confiscate their shoes then?
Obviously it was a slipper-up.

P.S. Well done Muntadar al-Zeidi — I hope you are OK. I salute your bravery.

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Be serious!
They couldn't have smuggled a double bass in!

JESSICA said...

I wouldn't have missed the C**t if I'd thrown one of my jandals.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

"They couldn't have smuggled a double bass in!"

Yes, you are right. They would screen for double basses and other dangerous weapons.