Saturday 7 March 2009

BIG JOBS


I was hoping for a quiet day today so I can sit down and ease the pain in my foot but I have had some big jobs to do.

Working with glass is scary and working with large format pieces even scarier. Some people don't realise that the bigger the frame size the heavier the glass is and the greater need for a big solid frame. I have had work brought in that has fallen off the wall and had the glass broken.

A young couple brought in a big poster framed in a very thin frame with glass that was 1.3 metres high and 660 cm wide. The frame had come apart and they asked me to fix it. I said to leave it with me and I'd put a couple of pins in it - payment a flat white from the coffee shop nearby. I tried strengthening it but decided that the frame was far too delicate to hold the glass and as it belonged to his elderly mother I didn't want it falling down and cutting her. I had some thicker moulding in stock so made up another frame (nice ornate gold that went well with the Vishnu Indian print) and reassembled it. When they came back they were very pleased but worried about how much it would cost (the computer programme cost assessment was $290). I said that it was spare moulding I had anyway and was good practice so the flat white was payment enough. I asked them to recommend me to friends working on the principle that what goes around comes around. They were very happy.

2 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Bugger bass bags! Could you build a couple of frames for my basses?

Richard (of RBB) said...

Next time you should ask for peanuts. Then when someone asks what you get paid, you can reply...