Thursday 7 May 2009

WHAT GOES ON ON TOUR STAYS ON TOUR


The above stupid expression has often been said to me relating to rugby trips and conferences. I think it was invented by some wannabe playboy - in reality the friendless guy who lives with his parents into his forties.

With regard to the Framers conference I attended on the weekend I won't be telling any tales mainly because there is nothing to tell. Nothing happened. There was no conference cocktail party; no conference dinner; no after conference drinks; there was even no tea and biscuits. Someone cut up a couple of apples and passed them around - whoopee! On the Sunday at 4.30PM when the 'conference' ended, everyone buggered off. Gone. Just drove away. I had booked for an extra nights accommodation assuming there would be some social activity so had the prospect of another night in a boring motel. Having experienced the crap meal at the motel restaurant the night before The Wine Guy and I decided to go into town. I think we got the city's only taxi. W got dropped off at the Pig and Whistle which was a busy bar but I objected to the name (it was in a historic police station) so we went to another more sophisticated place. I enjoyed my meal but The Wine Guy was moaning about something or other. On leaving we asked the barmaid (not pregnant) to call us a taxi. We waited in reception for about 15 minutes and had to confirm that the call had been made. We then waited outside (it was getting bloody cold) for another 25 minutes. No taxis went past and very few cars. At one stage I tried to hitch-hike and was prepared to offer $20 to anyone who would drive us back to the motel. No-one stopped - they mustn't have liked the look of the Wine Guy. Eventually a taxi arrived - driven by the same woman who drove us in to town. She said that no call had been made to the taxi company. Great. Tourists beware in Rotorua. The driver was pleasant so I gave her the $20 I was prepared to give to a helpful motorist. The fare was $10.60 so she was pleased.

The next morning we had all morning free so walked to Whakarewarewa thermal area. A 3 hour walk around Te Puia was very pleasant and brought back great memories of my childhood. What a great place and it is very well set out for tourists. When I was at the kiosk I scanned the options and didn't want the guided tour bit so asked if they had a free or freedom walk option. The woman looked at me strangely and said I could walk anywhere in the carpark for free! Maybe she thought I was a foreigner and couldn't understand me. I don't think she was pregnant otherwise The Wine Guy would have argued with her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a mistake to take The Wine Guy to a picture framing conference. It was also a mistake to take him anywhere near a bar.
Though, as he likes to buy expensive wines in bars, he would have loved the refreshment prices at Whakarewarewa.
Richard (of RBB)

THE WINE GUY said...

You have to watch what you're charged at the cafe at Whakarewarewa. I bought a bottle of water before my walk (pretty expensive at $3.50. At the end of the walk I bought a coffee and a scone and had my 7/8 empty bottle of water on the counter. The woman charged me again for the water which luckily I noticed. I don't know how she thought I'd drunk almost all of the water between the end of the counter and the till (no queue).

Anonymous said...

I love you!
The The The Guy

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thanks but I don't go out with stutterers