Thursday 6 January 2011

WHERE EVERYONE GETS A BARGAIN


We went to Ocean Beach today. I don't often go there which is a shame given that it is only an eight minute drive away but whenever I do I am overawed by the beauty and majesty of the place. The beauty is in the long, white sand beach with dunes at one end and unusual rock formations at the other along with an outlook to the Hen and Chicken Islands, Great and Little Barrier Islands and the distant Coromandel. The majesty is in the power of the surf coming in which whilst being fun to play in is also scary as you feel that it can snap your back or break a leg as it dumps you into the shallows. As it was The Old Girl wrenched her shoulder doing some body surfing.
I love New Zealand and, over the years feel that I have made use of a lot of the special things on offer. I have tramped in bush, up mountains and through river valleys; I have climbed and skied on awe-inspiring alpine peaks; ridden down white water rivers on lilos, rafts and kayaks; parachuted and parapented above open, lush farmland; swum and boated on lovely lakes; abseiled down into underground caves and made my way along underground river systems on inflated tubes - lots of exhilarating outdoor things. All of these with the possible exception of parachuting and skiing have been free or very affordable and available to everyone and anyone who wants to give it a go.

The real beauty is that these things are still available to the current and future generations (as long as our legislators and councils make sensible decisions in regard to preservation and anti-pollution). Going to Ocean Beach today, sharing in the free experience with lots of other New Zealanders who were surfing, swimming, laughing and playing brought it home to me how lucky I and we are. The laughter of children during the holidays is one of life's best sounds. Oh, we weren't the only ones enjoying the surf. A pod of dolphins came along and surfed, splashed, leapt and played at the other end of the beach. Magic.

7 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

"I love New Zealand and, over the years feel that I have made use of a lot of the special things on offer. I have tramped in bush, up mountains and through river valleys; I have climbed and skied on awe-inspiring alpine peaks; ridden down white water rivers on lilos, rafts and kayaks; parachuted and parapented above open, lush farmland; swum and boated on lovely lakes; abseiled down into underground caves and made my way along underground river systems on inflated tubes - lots of exhilarating outdoor things."
Yes, all very well, but have you tried double bass playing?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

1. I said I have tried the 'special' things on offer.
2. All the things i mentioned were outdoors.

Mind you, perhaps double bass playing would be best performed -

- underground in caves
- at the top of mountains where no-one else was there
- thousands of feet up in the air

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

I'm glad you enjoy the special things NZ offers. I agree with you that it is a very special place, but I also think the people and their character add immeasurably to the positive experience.
I also think that Richard [of RBB] would be a splendid sight surfing in on the Gloria.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Hello TSB.
Good to see that you have survived the wilderness (sounds like Inverness).
Yes, I agree that bass-surfing could well add to the appreciation of the instrument.

Angry Jesus said...

Curmudgeon (The), Did you see any crows on your travels?

Bin Hire said...

Is it really necessary to always do the bass jokes?

Angry Jesus said...

Don't forget church today Peter.