Saturday 30 April 2011

KEEPING MUM

The Old Girl was watching some of the royal wedding on TV last night and I saw a few snippets. While I think that they are all inbred dilettantes I must admit that it is good to see the pageantry and spectacle, something that the Americans wish they had. There's something great about seeing those carriages surrounded by the House Guard going down the Royal Mile. Watching it live caused a little bit of tension though as, with all sorts of nutters out there let alone terrorists, you never know if a shot could be fired, a pineapple lobbed or a bomb to go off. I bet that the security forces were relieved when the parade ended and they were safely back in Buckingham Palace. Earlier, at the ceremony I was pleased to see William almost nodding off during a super boring sermon from the bishop of London. I would have done the same thing (in fact I do and the Old Girl has to nudge me in the ribs). What I want to say in this post though is that there was one very, very disappointing episode. I know that we expect sports teams, in particular the all Blacks to not know the words to their national anthems and to just stand there saying nothing or at best mumbling or mouthing some words.


I was surprised though to see HRH Queen Elizabeth to be doing the same. During 'God Save the Queen' I watched her when the camera was on her and she not only didn't sing the words but she didn't even bother to mumble or mouth them. She just stood there stony-faced.



Now I don't know if she doesn't know the words or if she just couldn't be bothered but it was a bad show. Everyone else was singing. Disappointing really.

7 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

She IS the friggin' queen whom God is saving! Of course she doesn't sing about herself!
"God save me, and I'm gracious..."

Anonymous said...

Agree, what a daft post!

Richard (of RBB) said...

well, I guess it's like how on your birthday everyone else sings 'Happy Birthday', but you just listen. I hope that clears it up for you, Comeinyourpants.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

There is no 'I' in the royal 'We'

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Sorry TC, they're correct.
Protocol dictates that the Queen doesn't sing the anthem.

Just admit you're wrong and take your lumps.

Mind you I thought Richard[of RBB]and PS were a bit rude.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Irony is not alive and well in Wellington I see.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Irony may be alive and kicking in Wellington, but in Nuova Lazio, all we can afford is sarcasm.
And Chardon.