Wednesday 13 July 2011

AULD LANG SYNE

In the ever excellent blog Hestia's Larder, 'Hestia' recounts the ashes distribution of an old family friend.
See:

http://hestiaslarder.blogspot.com/2011/07/hestia-and-tartarus-say-goodbye-to-jim.html

This reminded me of our own ashes.
We have the ashes, (in their proper receptacles and properly stored) of my partner's son Blair and of our dog Rosie. We fully intend interring or scattering these (on separate occasions) at as-yet unspecified times.

There is a lot of emotion involved as you can imagine and we have not forgotten and we are just waiting for the right moment. for Blair we have a good idea of the location - a small island in the middle of the bay where we live. Perhaps at the next anniversary of his death which will be the fourth.

My partner's father died in 2005 as a result of a road accident. He was cremated and we had the ashes awaiting a suitable time and location to dispose of them. A year or so later the secretary/manager of a golf club that my company was involved with through sponsorship telephoned me to say that they were raising money by selling off wooden seats on the course. I went to see him and selected a prime location which overlooked the 18th green and was below the clubhouse (the 19th green). It also has a stunning view westward looking out over the Tasman sea. The seat is made of Macrocarpa which is a hard and very attractively coloured wood. On buying the seat and location I explained to the secretary/manager that it was to be a memorial for Tom (who was a member of the club up until his death) and that I would like to put his ashes beneath the seat. He was most accommodating and when the seat was ready for installation he gave me notice as to when the concrete base was to be laid. My partner and I went to the golf course with the ashes. The workmen had prepared the ground ready for the interment prior to the concrete being laid. They were most respectful. They gave my partner Lynn a wheel barrow with some earth in it and a shovel for her to place the urn in the ready dug hole and to cover it. They stood silently a short distance away while she did this and said her good-byes. The concrete base was duly laid and the seat put into place. It is a beautiful piece of outdoor furniture and has an inscription plate on it. This was the perfect resting place for a man who enjoyed his golf, not to mention the 19th hole.

4 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Well done, my old friend.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Glad to see that you are still (relatively) in touch with the blogging community Richard. TSB seems to have retired. Robert suffers from 'rain fade' like SKY TV and comes and goes and the others are in wilderness (admittedly Ffleur's workplace is falling around her ears at the moment and will have to teach in pre-fabs - like St Pat's in the old days).

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

That was a lovely thing to do.

I hope that my decendants do something similar for me, but on current evidence I think I'll end up getting flushed down the loo.

My goodness, the ignominy, ending up in a sewer in Petone of all places.

Sorry about the lack of posts from me recently, but I've been collapsing into the couch and vegetating as soon as I get home. I'm absolutely knackered.

Anonymous said...

"Robert suffers from 'rain fade'"

How can you say that when I have just started a new multi million dollar epic about Zombies?