Friday 8 July 2011

SUCKERS


The great PT Barnum has been attributed to saying "There's a Sucker born every minute". Whether he actually said 'sucker' and not 'customer' is in dispute but marketing people have followed his lead for over a century. I am a marketing person and I admit have stretched the truth a bit when describing wine products that I have promoted. You would think that I would know better.

I did the vacuuming this morning. Yes, the Old Girl is coming back from Auckland today. I used the newish Kambrook vacuum cleaner. I fitted the Turbo Boost brush that the Old Girl had tossed to the back of the cupboard. She prefers the old attachment from the previous machine. This Turbo Boost brush
makes a very satisfactory whirring and roaring that Tim (the Toolman) Taylor would be proud of.

"More power!"
I whirred and roared around the house for a lot longer than usual. Males love the sound of engines particularly noisy ones. If they have 'Turbo' written on them then - 'Game On'


The Turbo Boost brush has a spinning brush in the head that is driven by the sucking air. It spins very rapidly and makes the aforementioned whirring and roaring noise. The problem is, this is all it does. It is supposed to drag up more lint and fluff. What it actually does is stop a lot of the lint and fluff from being picked up. What it also does is scatter any small pieces of dirt, wood chips, (potato chips) and whatever else is on the floor in a 270 degree arc, generally underneath furniture and in inaccessible places.

I am beginning to think that the 5 star sucker rating on the box does not refer to the suction factor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My favourite vacuum foot is the old flip type our mothers used. Forget turbo, wheels and 180 degree swivel!