Saturday 10 March 2012

DOING JOB INTERVIEWS

This last week I have been interviewing some people for a new assistant position. I couldn't help thinking of David Brent in The Office when I was doing it.




A lot of the over 100 applications for an entry level/Junior marketing position are young women. Many have top commerce, marketing or communication studies degrees and a lot of them are 'passionate' about becoming a sales and marketing assistant. I hate the 'passionate' word being overused in C.V.'s and in job advertisements see: HERE

It is interesting when you are an old fart like me, discussing a job with a twenty-something young woman when, as it is a marketing oriented position and involves website editing, graphic design and social media management, you have to 'slip into the vernacular' using language that is still slightly alien to me.

This is why I felt as if I was David Brent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just go with the flow and pick the prettiest.

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

The only thing I'm passionate about is the maximum amount of holidays. And the pay of course.

Actually, I'm suspicious about anyone who's passionate about a f*cking job.

Give methe money, I'll do the job as well as I can.

End of Story.