Tuesday 13 March 2012

SWEET AS

The Old Girl bought me a litre bottle of Macallan Select Oak from Duty Free last month. I opened it tonight while I was cooking dinner (tacos - kidney beans sautéed in chilli sauce and lots of garlic chilli paste in a taco with a mix of chopped lettuce, capsicum, cheese, tomato and spring onion - yummy!).
Now I love Macallan and favour the rich peaty styles with overt sherry oak. I have a few different ones of different ages and styles. This one is from Macallan's newly released 1824 collection. It is targeted at the US/Asia market and is only available at duty free stores. It apparently is from a blend of five different barrel styles and is blended to be smooth and sweet which makes sense for the market it is aimed at. For me, it is a bit Glenfiddich-like with a touch of J&B blandness but.... the quality of Macallan shines through.
The sherry tones are there so they have used first-fill sherry casks and the vanillin character also so good oak is evident. The flavour is smooth but unfortunately a bit short - not as lingering as I like but still a bloody nice drop for a Tuesday night.
The Old Girl is out tonight, schmoozing at a fancy restaurant somewhere with work colleagues so I thought I'd treat myself.
Two glasses - as I have a busy day tomorrow.

8 comments:

Tracey said...

This is how I picture your busy day - given you have skillfully created a 4 day weekend!

Tracey said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuxSl_4yLz4

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Thank you. I liked that Busy doing Nothing clip. I'll be doing that next month.

Richard (of RBB) said...

2 glasses. Pssst?

Richard (of RBB) said...

2 glasses. Pssst?

Twisted Scottish Bastard said...

Lucky you. *envy*

The last malt I had was a rather undistiguished supermarket Islay.

They're all so bloody expensive down here.

*sob*

THE CURMUDGEON said...

2 glasses Richard (about a third the volume as wine) equates almaost exactly to the same number of 'standard drinks (see the back of a wine bottle) as two glasses of wine.

Richard (of RBB) said...

urine