Monday 22 April 2013

RHUME AT THE INN


Yes, I have a cold.

The Old Girl, poor thing was crook as a dog all weekend and left for the big smoke yesterday in torrential rain. I miss her but she left me a present - her cold. I think that 'cold' sounds a bit wimpy which is why men always say that they have 'flu even when it's not. 'Man Cold' used to get taken with a degree of seriousness until women rumbled it. So, I have a cold. It's coming on real heavy and I know that tomorrow and the next day my eyes will be streaming, my throat will feel like there's broken glass in it and I will be sneezing and snuffling. I'll have to ring in sick for Tuesday and Wednesday as I will be infectious and I have some meetings so it won't be fair to contaminate other people. I'll tell them that I have a 'Rhume' (French for 'Cold') it sounds more serious.

I remember one of the Pink Panther films and Inspector Clouseau (Peter Sellers) asking for a room in his affected, nasal accent. The Swiss hotel desk clerk interpreted him asking if he had a 'rhume' to which he said no - hilarious.

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Take care old fellah. At least you'll have more time to comment on my blog.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

No, I've decided that I'll comment when you write a proper post.

Richard (of RBB) said...

Fair enough Beeter.