Saturday 19 October 2013

MELODIOUS?

....... or malodorous?

We went to Peter Grimes last night. This is Benjamin Britten's opera set in Suffolk, written in the 1940's and still fresh and alive. Stunning.

Peter Grimes

I like this kind of music - visceral, almost off-key with an edge. It reminded me of Weill/Sondheim's Mahogonny

The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahogonny

The Old Girl prefers her music to be a bit more lyrical and I guess melodious. She didn't like Peter Grimes but that's OK, plus ca difference n'est ce pas?
Next week we are off to see La Boheme which we both like (Puccini) and her choice, Cosi Fan Tutti in January. This will balance things out as I'm not a big fan of Mozart opera.

We differ in our music tastes. I like that "crap from the '70's" and, according to her, she likes good stuff including a lot of modern music. This always gets me as a lot of the 'modern' music that I like she hates.
An example is Scott Walker's album Bish Bosch which I love but she can't be in the same room when it's playing.

Bish Bosch

It has some similarities to Britton's and Sondheim's music in the discordant tunes. Edgy, freaky and immensely satisfying.

3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

This is almost like a Richard's Bass Bag* post.







*the original bass bagging site

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

Yes, uncanny.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Hey, no need to be that critical.