Monday 9 March 2015

HOME AGAIN

I just arrived home this morning after a couple of weeks away.



A week in UK and a week in Toronto.

The days of business travel that I enjoyed for years with the odd upgrade to first class are long gone.

On the flight to UK I took the option of  bidding for an upgrade to Premium economy for the Auckland to Singapore leg. This upgrade has a list price of about a thousand bucks extra and Air New Zealand send e-mails a week or so ahead inviting you to bid. I put in the minimum allowed which was $200. Over the next week I received a few e-mails from Air NZ warning that the bid was too low and I should consider upping the bid. I held fast and received the upgrade for $200. The seating was a lot roomier and much more comfortable with the extras of better food and drink etc. I don't drink alcohol on flights though as it adds to the jet-lag effect but I enjoyed the seating which given the 11 hour plus journey was a blessing.

The next leg with Singapore airlines from Singapore to London was absolutely diabolical. I didn't have a seat choice so ended up jammed against a window with two rather large women in the middle and aisle seats which made for a bloody nuisance when I wanted to use the loo (I drink a lot of water when travelling). Thirteen hours of this was no fun at all.

On the London to Toronto flight I had a chance to choose a seat and took an aisle one. Fortunately no-one was sitting in the middle seat so had a reasonable flight which at only about 8 hours is a doddle.
It's always funny listening to the Brits and Americans complaining about how long the trans-Atlantic flights are and how jet lagged they are. They should try the normal 25 hour plus marathons that Kiwis have to endure getting to Europe.

On the return I went from Toronto to Vancouver - only five hours and had a bulkhead, ailse seat. Magic and one I'll seek out in future.

The Vancouver to Auckland leg though was again diabolical even though I had an aisle seat. I had one of those jerks in front of me who at the earliest opportunity put his seat as far back as he could forcing me to inconvenience the woman behind me when I had to recline my seat (not fully) just to be able to breathe. I had to tap the joker on the top of his head at one stage when food was served ans asked him to  put his seat upright during food service. Arsehole!. The flight was cramped and uncomfortable with the time going very very slowly. I was really glad to see Auckland even though it was 5.15 in the morning and still dark.

Whoever thinks that air travel is glamorous and exciting needs their head examined.

Oh well. The UK business week was very successful and the week with The Old Girl in Canada was magic - well worth the discomfort.



3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Tutto bene, vecchio amico.

Robert and the Catholics said...

I feel justified in never travelling further than the south Island in an old Humber.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Hillman.