Sunday 29 March 2015

NOW DON'T BECOME A BIT OF A CRANK ABOUT THIS




 Remember this?

HELP ME SPARKY


 I was thinking of it yesterday as I was flying to Whangarei.
I was sitting in 10A in Air NZ's Bombardier which was the emergency exit row and I was looking out below the wing at the landing wheel mechanism.

Bombardier


Wheel


It was intriguing watching the hydraulics operate when the mechanism was operating on take-off and disengaged in the air.

I was thinking of the things that can go wrong.

Watching as the plane ran down the runway I was impressed at how the wheel mechanism handled the pressures and stresses imposed by the velocity and the bumping from contact with the tarmac.
Peering closely I could see all of the external components - little hydraulic valves, connecting joints, hinges, flanges, etc, all rattling and moving and I though "Gee, I hope that they're in good nick"

Fortunately, Air New Zealand has a really good maintenance programme, discipline and record and I think, leads the world in this.

I felt reassured but couldn't help thinking of that old kid's radio programme (1947) that I first heard in about 1959. It resonated.

Mind you, in light of recent developments, aircraft maintenance is second to terrorism and the fact that our lives are in the hands of a pilot who may or may not be suicidal.




1 comment:

Richard (of RBB) said...

I think that I can confidently say that you are becoming a bit of a landing gear crank.