Tuesday 10 March 2015

AIR SICKNESS

Frequent travellers must be doing weird things to their bodies what with the time and seasonal differences and temperature changes.

I'm not usually bothered but of course don't travel much anymore.
I arrived early yesterday morning and went to bed at 8.30 last night, sleeping right through to 7 this morning. I guess this means no jet lag and I'm back to normal.

Temperature changes are a different thing.
In the UK temperatures ranged from 2 degrees to 10 degrees.
In Toronto temperatures ranged from 0 to minus 26 degrees.
In Vancouver where I spent a day on the way home the temperature was a balmy 10 degrees.
Today in Auckland it is 24 degrees.

This exposure to fluctuating temperatures is unnatural and makes me wonder how our bodies adjust.
Disrupted sleep patterns, allergies, colds etc are the obvious problems but what if there are other, deeper seated problems?
I read recently that long-term exposure to fuel contaminants is a problem for aircrew and a pilot died recently from this.
Cabin crew must be at risk daily from not only colds but flu and other dangerous diseases like measles.


I developed a cold on my travels which is not unnusual. At one stage on the way over to the UK there was a sneezer behind me and on the many train and underground travels I went on it seemed that half of Britain had coughs and colds. This bastard cold incapacitated me for more than half of my Toronto holiday which was a shame and I managed to pass it on to the Old Girl.

I'm glad I'm not a frequent traveller.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today I grabbed a trolley at pack n save. After a while I noticed a familiar odour. I sniffed my hands ... urine!
It took about three washes with different soups to remove it.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Vileness in the suburbs!

1. Urine on supermarket trolley handles? I know that the bastard supermarket cartel are taking the piss out of consumers but this is a bit extreme.

2. So what different soups do you wash with?
Clear chicken broth might just be acceptable but surely cream of tomato, hearty beef and minestrone would leave you dirtier than you started.

Just a thought.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I went to a supermarket and there was human faeces on the trolley handle. I washed three times with three different cheeses, then I was okay. Thank heavens for the dairy department!

THE CURMUDGEON said...

You're on to something there. Some cheeses taste soapy like Chesdale.

Robert ka kite i nga mea i te rangi said...

I went to a supermarket and there was snot on the basket handle. I picked it off and wiped it on my trousers!
I threw the trousers away afterwards.

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Mmmm. I'm thinking that you should try another supermarket.
Or another suburb.
Another city?