Wednesday 17 June 2015

SHONKEY'S CAFE

 I had a meeting in Parnell today and when that finished I walked up to the rose gardens which is always a treat in fine weather.



As it was lunchtime I thought about a coffee and a savoury and was right by the PM's favourite cafe.

I ordered a coffee and the obliging waiter pointed out some nice items in the cabinet. The first was a jam-filled doughnut. One of those old-style ones with no cream but jam filling and sugar coating.



He didn't have to point out anything else as I immediately said "that'll do"
I hadn't had one of these since about the 1960's.
It was delicious. The raspberry jam in the centre was just like home made jam - rich and fruity. There was no cream - the light texture of the doughnut didn't need it. Wonderful.

I looked around. No Shonkey.

I looked again. The waitresses all had tight buns.

Not these.


These

It was almost as if they were making a statement.

I looked around again.
The customers, a true-blue set if ever there was stood out as a disproportionate number of the older women were sporting pony tails.



Were they hoping to get pulled by Shonkey?



Probably.


1 comment:

Richard (of RBB) said...

That lady with the ponytail is wearing a labelled sweater.