Wednesday 13 April 2016

I'M WORTH MORE DEAD OR SICK THAN ALIVE AND WELL!

I'm creating a household budget to see where our money is going to.


It sounds silly I know but for decades I've been creating and controlling budgets for the companies I've worked for involving income of hundreds of millions and expenditure of tens of millions.
When it comes to our own finances I'm like the classic tradesman who does great work on other people's homes but his own is falling down.



In the past it was just a simple case of 'whatever' as the income was guaranteed and more than enough. All expenditure was covered with extra to spare.
More recently the income hasn't been guaranteed and, being a lot less than what I've been accustomed to, doesn't automatically cover the outgoings. How unfair is that?

"Annual income twenty pounds and annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and sixpence - result happiness.
Annual income twenty pounds and annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and sixpence - result misery"


Hence the household budget.

I've been reviewing the obvious big ticket items like mortgage, rates and wine with no great surprises but when I got to adding up the insurances I fell over.

I fell over from the shock of the total monthly outgoings although it would have been (financially) better if I'd keeled over from a heart attack or, for The Old Girl, if I'd actually karked it.

Our monthly outgoings for household insurance, contents insurance, car insurance, health insurance, life insurance and the old girl's income protection insurance is ..... wait for it .... $1200.

I'll need to get a second job just to cover this! And that will give me a heart attack.






3 comments:

Richard (of RBB) said...

Holy mother of Robert's god!
And will they actually pay out?

THE CURMUDGEON said...

Who knows?
They will probably try and weasel out.
I think we might cancel most of them.
The trouble is that when you most need them you cannot afford them.
That's life ( or death).

Robert Sees Things in Sky said...

You can't take it with you.
Try to be perfect.