Sunday 29 September 2024

DOWNSIZING

 



No, not that, although The Old Girl does cast aspersions along with her sideways look at me sometimes.

If we, in the next couple of years sell our house and move to either a smaller house or an apartment then we will have to get rid of a hell of a lot of stuff.

When it comes to junk, out of condition and well-used stuff this isn't a problem as it wouldn't take long to give it away or take to the tip.

What would take longer is selling those things that are worth a lot of money (based on original purchase prices) or have value that has increased since purchase many years ago. The kind of stuff  I'm talking about is:

  • Artwork. We have lots of lovely original paintings and prints along with some sculptural pieces we've collected. There's no way that a future dwelling would accommodate these so, sadly we'll have to drastically reduce the quantity.
  • Ceramics. We have some very special pieces that we wouldn't be able to take with us. These include the 100+ piece Copeland Spode 'Buttercup' dinner service, an 45 piece set of  Perrier-Jouët Belle Epoque dinner service and other artisan bowls, dishes and plates along with crystal glasses and decanters. The beautiful  Stephen Scholefield  plate that Richard and Shelley gave us will not be sold - that will be going with us.
  • Valuable things in the basement like my Avanti mountain bike, the EGO lawnmower and other EGO tools, the STIHL waterblaster.
  • Snooker table and accessories.
Actually, thinking about it and making a list makes me think that there's not going to be a lot of stuff to sell. We'll carefully go through our book collection and keep the rare and valuable ones with the hope that a new residence will have space for a decent bookshelf and furniture and appliances by then will all be in need of replacement anyway.

Just by writing this post I think that I've taken the pressure off but will make an effort to sell the dinnerware to start with.

Hey! It gives me something to do (and blog about).


****************


Copeland Spode Buttercup from the internet. Ours has extra items.


Belle Epoque dinnerware from the internet. Ours has extra items

.
The Scolefield plate


3 comments:

Rob said...

We downsized from a four slice toaster to a two slice toaster yesterday. I do think it is a good idea to get rid of unwanted stuff. S and I frequently go through her clothes and give to the Red Cross shop items that are too small or impractical. I've been doing the same with nick nacks that sit on shelves and no longer have any meaning.

Richard (of RBB) said...

I'm worried about the number of bows I have. I have two very good double bass bows but I gave a cheap third one to a student. I have three functioning violin bows. Two of them are my favourites. You don't see many bass bows in the Sallies. There must be quite a demand for them.

Anonymous said...

No, no - they are all out the back being made into wigs.